FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
Can algae be stop if i put some sand (quartz) on top of the media ? Either if the algae is not yet born or it is there already.
Last edited by roarke on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SundewWolf
I don't really find sand to be too useful in creating a drier soil. It seems to just clump together when wet, holds moisture, and doesn't dry too fast.

If the sand was sitting on top of a soil that is being kept wet enough to grow algae in the first place, then the sand would just retain as much water as the soil underneath and not contribute much to the problem.

I grow Red Mangroves, and their pot has a layer of sand on top of soil (To replicate the conditions of the beach). I keep the 2 gallon mangrove pots sitting in a few inches of saltwater and the top layer of sand grows lots of algae.
By roarke
2 days with top watering and no algae. My humidity is around 80 %. Today i started tray method, to see if the algae will appear around the quartz or beneath the quartz. They can appear around the plants, i don't mind that, but i don't want all over the pots.
I've put silica around the plant and soil that the plant is in, and have had success with controling it. Jimbok3
Code: Select all
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/how-to-remove-algae-from-your-cps-t17794.html?hilit=algae
By Sander
Well, i have a quite coirse type sand at the top layer of all my cephs to keep the crown dry, and there is absolutely no algae!

I think its likely because the soil is 50/50 sand/lfs,
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!