FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By mo_carnivore
So the soil where I live is full of clay, and I was separating some of it out for the fun of it (yeah, I'm that kind of person :D ) and I was left with a bucket about a quarter full of gunk. So I separated that out too, because why not, and I was left with around four different types of gravel. Then, I had a lightbulb moment. What if I could use this for my carnivorous plants as a sand replacement? The hardware stores around here have literally no good sand. The only sand that I think is usable is the play sand or the fine grade silica sand that looks like it would just clog the soil up more than do any good. I did the vinegar test on the gravel, and it passed, so I guess now I have just a few questions: What size gravel should I use? I have two types that I think might be good. The second-to-largest grade, about 1-3 mm grain size:
medium gravel.JPG
medium gravel.JPG (23.19 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
or the second-to-finest grade, about 0.5-1 mm grain size:
small gravel.JPG
small gravel.JPG (10.21 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
small gravel 2.JPG
small gravel 2.JPG (7.67 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
Or maybe a mix? Also has anyone done this before, and do you have positive or negative results? It passed the vinegar test, so I'm pretty sure it's neutral, but are there other things I should be looking out for?

Thanks!
By Smooter80
You need to take TDS readings. I would soak the sand in zero TDS water then take readings immediately, 24 hours and one week later before trying to use it.
Smooter80 liked this
By mouthstofeed
get it tested by a geologist. if it is going to leach don't use it.
By xr280xr
Fine silica sand is a beneficial additive to peat because it helps keep it from over compacting so the water can flow through more freely.
By mouthstofeed
mo_carnivore wrote:Thanks guys. I was looking at the lowe's website and there was no pool filter sand to speak of... there was that extra fine stuff, but I would guess that it wouldn't work. Could I find it at a home depot or something?
i found some at home depot but they were getting rid of it and haven't had it since. it might have been a seasonal thing.

maybe try a pool supply store?

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!