FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Kevin01
Hi, I recently bought a good looking Sarracenia purpurea, but it has now gotten crispy on top of some of the pitchers. I watered it with tapwater for a very few days until I started using water from a dehumidifier, and later rainwater to now use dehumidifier water again - Could the tapwater have hurt it? The rainwater got a bit disgusting after a few days, is water from a dehumidifier okay? How much water should be in the tray? The pot is 6,5 cm tall and 9 cm wide
By thepitchergrower
Water from the dehumidifier should be OK, but I'll wait for other members to chip in. You might want to flush the soil with pure low tds water, seeing that you used tap water. I would think the water should be anywhere from 1 cm to 1 inch up the pot.
By That one plant boi
Using tap water for a few days shouldn't hurt the plant. Just flush the media good with some pure water, such as rain, reverse osmosis, or distilled water.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Shadowtski
Welcome to the forum.
It is likely that a few pitchers got crispy due to change of growing conditions from its origin to your home.
Tap water is not a likely culprit unless your tap water is horrendously bad.
A TDS meter will tell the quality of any water source.
They're about $20 and I think they are a must-have item for growing CPs or Orchids, or any plant that wants good water.
I keep 1/4 inch to an inch of water in my Sarracenia trays, depending on time of year.
Also, S. purpurea is the only Sarr that depends on rain water to fill its pitchers, unlike others that fill the pitchers on their own.
Did you put a little (25%) water in the pitchers when you set them up?
That could have contributed to crispy pitchers, if you didn't.
As always, just my 02¢ worth.
coorain liked this
By coorain
Just chiming in to say that dehumidifier water is a great choice for your pitcher plant!
By Kevin01
Thank you all for the replies! I will be sure to flush the medium with some dehumidifier water, and keep the water at around 1/4 inch.

Shadowski, I did indeed add a bit of rainwater to the pitchers after bringing it home, I worry it might've been too much, but it might just be a beginner-worry
By steve booth
I agree with teh comments above and would add that it may be worthwhile repotting the plant into a larger pot as that will be a bit on teh small side as it grows through the summer.
It being a purpurea it likes a lot of water, so in that height of pot I would go for a water depth of about an inch of water, in a taller pot it would take a lot more but in that size you run the risk of reducing oxygen to the roots.
Cheers
Steve
By Kevin01
Steve, you mention oxygen for the roots, might an orchid pot with side slits be good for the purpurea? I'll look into potting medium and see if anything is sold locally
By Panman
I don't think a purp would like orchid pots. They like it really wet. The oxygen comment is if you have the media sitting in stagnant water for extended periods. I grow mine in 8 inch tall pots sitting in about 2 to 3 inches of water all of the time.
steve booth liked this
By steve booth
I grow some plants in net pots, but not purpura or Sarracenia, but generally Utricularia. As Panman says, my comment really refers to the making of anaerobic conditions in the lower regions of your pot or starving the roots of oxygen. As his pots are tall, he can keep the plants in 2-3" all year, which is great, but a pot your size would suffer quickly.
Standard plastic pots are fine, and as you will soon find out, all Sarracenia have long roots so the taller the pots the better growth you get.
Cheers
Steve
Panman liked this
By Kevin01
A taller, wider and non-orchid pot will be on it's way then! I did notice some root sticking out from the drainage hole, I bet it would like a repot. I had a look at the soil mixes from the caresheet so I should be good to go, just a tad nervous I'll spill the digestive fluids
By Panman
The only worry about spilling the pitchers is that it stinks. Other than that, fill it back up halfway with rain water and it will be good to go in no time.
MikeB liked this
By Kevin01
I am back with more questions:

Is boiled tapwater okay to put in the pitchers instead of dehumidifier water? The dehumidifier is getting less use as per the season, so I might have to look at watering options again - Speaking of, how do I avoid rainwater getting yucky in the buckets it's collected in? Birds manage to make it a defecating target and feathers find their way into the water

Algae grows on the pot and floats around in the water, do I just let it sit or should I clean it every so often?
By Panman
No, boiling tap water actually increases the TDS of the water. You would need to distill it, that is boil it off and collect the condensation. I would recommend, as above, getting a TDS meter to check your water. If you can't, you can take some water in a clean glass jar (no lid, secure plastic wrap over the top) to most pet stores that sell fish and they will test it for you. A third option is going to said pet store and buying some of the water test strips. You would be interested in the kH and gH readings.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!