FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Sky924
Hey yall, i saw a vid on U-tube about VFT.s and they did some leave pullings. The guy in the vid did the standard pulling getting the rhizome and all. But he dipped the end in some powder that is standard root growth hormone. I know VFT dont like rich soil,, But does this help or harm the plant? I know with "standard" plants when you do cuttings they recomend a dip in this powder root growth thing.
By jht-union
Hey Sky924,

That doesn't damage the pulling, the plant have shock only because of the pulling, and the powder is use to accelerate the process of the pulling getting roots faster or seedlings, but i have read before in another post in here, that it doesn't matter if you use powder or not, they will grow at the same rate, let's wait for someone with experience to answer this question.
By HarrisAz
i think its the video that i watch b4.
a video from wes major.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpli8m7rOwY[/youtube]
i ask Matt b4 about rooting hormone for pullings and matt said it has no differences.
this guy make a few mistakes on a few video
Mr.Matt sure need to host some care for VFT videos soon :)

h
By Darkrai283
HarrisAz wrote:this guy make a few mistakes on a few video
I agree. On one of the videos, he says that dionaeas ABSOLUTELY LOVE BEING WATERLOGGED and that they PREFER BEING PLANTED IN A TERRANIUM (in those round gold fish tanks with no holes)!!!!!!!!!!
By Sky924
So true that guy makes a LOT of mistakes!! First of all he refers to teh soil as potting soil fopr VFT's He never uses the term CP mix. that is why i asked you guys about it. Thanks for your input. I think i will do TWO pullings one with root growth and one without and let yall know what the deal is.
By BradR
i ask Matt b4 about rooting hormone for pullings and matt said it has no differences.
Rooting powders contain auxins such as IBA and NAA. Auxins promote rooting but inhibit shoot formation. Cytokinis encourage shoot formation but inhibit rooting. If you are trying to encourage rooting on a divided rhizome, theorically auxins might help. If you are trying to get shoot formation at the leaf base, theoretically it should hurt. In my experience with leaf pullings, the shoots form first, mostly at the leaf base, then the roots form later as the plantlets get bigger. I have not tried rootong powder on VFTs but I have tried cytokinin solutions (2iP and Kinetin) placed with an eyedropper at the leaf base to speed up shoot formation. I did not see any improvement in shoot formation.

Brad
Last edited by BradR on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By dantt99
I tried to watch that dude's videos to learn how to care for a flytrap when I started.... Then I found FTC :D . I agree, Matt and Steve NEED to make some instructional videos!
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!