FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By owlfeathers
Has anyone had experience keeping flytraps outside in a mesh "terrarium" (i.e., the kind of mesh enclosure you might get for, like, a chameleon) that keeps most bugs out? I am asking because I want my plants' traps to turn red, but they are all catching so many bugs that even my Akai Ryuu is mostly green! (Btw, they normally get several hours a day of bright, mostly direct sunlight, although it's been so rainy and humid lately that I've barely had to water my plants in weeks.)

My grandfather—who, as my dad likes to say, could grow things on Jupiter—was actually the one who suggested the idea of using a reptile/amphibian enclosure as a miniature greenhouse. He isn't familiar with carnivorous plants, though, so I wanted to know if anybody here has tried this or has other suggestions for decreasing overall bug consumption (lol).
By Panman
I may be wrong but increased bug consumption should enhance red color. The red color is a response in order to reduce the amount of photosynthesis done by the leaves.
By owlfeathers
I read on another post somewhere on this forum that increased bug consumption leads to more chlorophyll, since the prey provides nitrogen for CPs, which is then used to create chlorophyll. I think the red pigment might be an effect, not a cause, of less chlorophyll, since a lot of times with plants the green is actually "covering up" the red. (Like tree leaves turning red/orange in the fall.)

I just want some nice red plants :cry:
By MaxVft
I partially agree w/ @owlfeathers, less consumption does lead to the red color developing. But it is not due to chlorophyll, but due to the fact that the longer a trap stays open, the longer the inside is exposed thus helping increase anthocyanin amounts inside traps, and again, thus helping color up the traps better.
Just my opinion,
Max
By MaxVft
Forgot to mention to the OP,
Your traps won't get as much light when you have a mesh filter. You can try, but they won't redden up as easily, even without the bugs due to the fact that the mesh probably reduces light by 50 plus percent.
By Apollyon
It sounds more like he's using something similar to porch screening, that's what I had with my chameleons back when. Would be less concerned about cooking them and more concerned with light problems. They'd probably slow down their growth in response. It'd be like keeping them on a porch. When it's summertime, I notice my plants will be greener in general. They tend to color up more in the fall when the Temps are cooler. By winter they have those hallmark characteristics. Akai Ryu is completely red, purple ambush is darker. There's no shortage of insects in FL at any point of the year so in my case, it's a nonfactor. Hope this helps
Supercazzola liked this
By MaxVft
Hi @Apollyon,
Completely on track.
I misread the OP and edited my post, probably while you were writing. I do agree, during the fall months they do tend to develop the characteristics shown and begin to look like the stock photos. I totally forgot to add that part or I am just trying not to look stupid lol :lol: .

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!