FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By piximafia
Hi,

I need to re-pot my VFT b/c i think something may have gotten into the soil to contaminate it. It was doing fine before I moved into my new apartment, but to my dismay I discovered that my apartment has ants. I believe that in my attempts to get rid of the ants (ie ant traps) the soil was hurt. i'm wondering if its ok to uncover the roots and get completely new soil or if its just a lost cause. Help!
By ModeratelyExcessive
piximafia wrote:Hi,

I need to re-pot my VFT b/c i think something may have gotten into the soil to contaminate it. It was doing fine before I moved into my new apartment, but to my dismay I discovered that my apartment has ants. I believe that in my attempts to get rid of the ants (ie ant traps) the soil was hurt. i'm wondering if its ok to uncover the roots and get completely new soil or if its just a lost cause. Help!
Hi piximafia,

Welcome to Flytrapcare! For future reference, it would be best to start your own thread when you have a question. ;)

Did you stick the ant trap in the soil of your plant? Does your plant look sicker than before?
By Aging_Bourbon
piximafia wrote:Hi,

Hello "piximafia"

Welcome to flytrapcare.. and they flytrapcare family!

Well lets get started... First of all Venus Flytraps are about to go dormant(winter rest). If you contaminate with a Chemical you gotta get it outta that soil! you could either try flushing the soil out with Distilled water an if that's not working transplant it. Remember to use Soil that's low in nutrients! Peat and Perlite works best for Venus Flytraps. As for the ants i wouldn't worry about them too much not unless they start harming your plant. If you have anymore question on care or just courious about "something" don't be afraid to ask. But next time remember like what "ModeratelyExcessive" said post your own topic.

Allen,
By Matt
Hello piximafia and welcome to flytrapcare.

You've already gotten good advice from Allen about how to proceed. I'd say to just go ahead and repot the plant. You could definitely try rinsing the soil as Allen described and that could definitely work. But for my own peace of mind, if it were my plant, I'd just repot it and be done with it.

As Allen said, be sure to use peat moss and perlite for repotting. A 50:50 mix is a good ratio for Venus flytraps.

Oh, and I went ahead and separated your post out into your own topic! ;)
By kevinqwe
Welcome to flytrapcare!!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!