FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By blueovalgal
and I picked one with a lot of plants of varying sizes in the 2" plastic pot.

Question: Could I wait until the smaller baby capensis plants are larger before repotting and maybe separating them into their own pots or should I go ahead and repot/separate them now?

Thank you for your time.

PS I should probably add that this is my first time with so many capensis plants in one pot. I currently own another capensis, but it's just one plant in the pot.
Attachments:
IMG_6363.jpg
IMG_6363.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 1708 times
By cylpol
Hi it should be ok to repot if you so choose to. It is a very vigorous grower and should recover. If you want to wait you can do it during dormancy if you have environment for it to go into dormancy. Just pull slowly when dealing with the to plants and their roots. Waiting for the smaller one to grow more could also tangle the root making it harder to repot later on. The smaller one needs room so repotting would be helpful to it. This is just my opinion so others may have different things to say and I suggest hearing the out on what they say.
cylpol liked this
By blueovalgal
cylpol wrote:Hi it should be ok to repot if you so choose to. It is a very vigorous grower and should recover. If you want to wait you can do it during dormancy if you have environment for it to go into dormancy. Just pull slowly when dealing with the to plants and their roots. Waiting for the smaller one to grow more could also tangle the root making it harder to repot later on. The smaller one needs room so repotting would be helpful to it. This is just my opinion so others may have different things to say and I suggest hearing the out on what they say.
Thank you for replying and for giving me food for thought! i didn't think that the roots would tangle, making it harder to separate and the babies needing more room to grow bigger. I'm still trying to figure out my profile info, but I'm in zone 10 (CA); so I don't think they will go into dormancy? I think I will wait a few days before repotting with the in-laws coming into town and the crazy heat we should be experiencing soon. Thank you again!
By CarnivoresUnite
I second the separating now. From my limited experience with Capensis but years of experience in repotting this plant is very vigorous. All the plants will thank you for the separation by improved growing and.. protein munchies if available..
CarnivoresUnite liked this
By blueovalgal
CarnivoresUnite wrote:I second the separating now. From my limited experience with Capensis but years of experience in repotting this plant is very vigorous. All the plants will thank you for the separation by improved growing and.. protein munchies if available..
I have fungus gnats, thanks to my houseplants... thank you for replying and your vote for separating/repotting now! :)
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!