FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Missy2498
Hi Everyone!

I just bought a Venus Fly trap! and did some research and watched a lot of videos as well as read a ton of posts on here.

BUT being a noob I went to home depot about a week ago and bought Sphagnum Peat Moss and Perlite. Excited I repotted my awesome plant!

Yesterday, I noticed none of the traps were opened so I searched here about transplanting shock. and stupidly I just realized that it's totally my fault! I bought Miracle grow Sphagnum Peat Moss because home depot was OUT of the other brand. (thanks to the lady that helped me, she told me they were the same) ANY WAY! Fast forward... I ordered the correct Soil on amazon, Which will be here tomorrow! YAY

BUT in the mean time... I depotted my VFT and put it in a paper towel with distilled water. What else should I do for now since I have to wait til the real stuff gets here tomorrow?! I DONT WANT HIM TO DIE!!
He seems okay!?
He seems okay!?
016D3286-48BC-4415-8685-DF6A3023931D.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2479 times
By Missy2498
Phew!!! Thank you!

I put him back under my makeshift lightbulb. Hopefully that will be fine.

I really shouldn’t of trusted that lady at Home Depot especially when she told me she didn’t want to be working there anymore and wishes she could retire. Le sigh!
By Missy2498
SundewWolf wrote:You can also put it in a ziplock bag. I wouldn't give it too much light until it's repotted and settled.

What would a ziplock do?

Should I take it away from my artificial light? Can I leave it in regular sun from the window? Or should I take it out of the light completely?

Also- how wet should the paper towel be?

Picture of where it is currently:
F4966FE3-90B5-4258-9884-494386C47E34.jpeg
F4966FE3-90B5-4258-9884-494386C47E34.jpeg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 2422 times
By Missy2498
hollyhock wrote:Yes you totally did the right thing. It will be fine to keep it just how you have it until your new medium arrives. Just don't let it dry out.

Is there anything else I should do until Tomorrow?
By hollyhock
Just keep the paper towel wet for the roots. I think that comment about the baggie was suggesting you put the paper towel in the zip lock bag. But in that cup with water is fine. And light is fine too. These are hardy plants and yours looks great. It's big and green and will be fine.
By Missy2498
hollyhock wrote:Just keep the paper towel wet for the roots. I think that comment about the baggie was suggesting you put the paper towel in the zip lock bag. But in that cup with water is fine. And light is fine too. These are hardy plants and yours looks great. It's big and green and will be fine.

Oh! Great! I just put it in the pot that it will eventually be planted in with distilled water.
I also made a grow light with a 5000k Lightbulb and some photography filters to make it 6500k

Thank you for the help! I think he's coming around though (fingers crossed), some of the traps are a little more opened than it was this morning. I THINK!
Thank you!! :)
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!