FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Beniamin Szabo
Hi everyone,

I am new here and and also new to flytrap care. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Venus Flytrap online. It arrived the next day so it didn't spend too much on the road and the condition at arrival was pretty good. So I kept watering it and moved it outside during the day and inside during the night (i did this because the temperatures at night where I live can get down to -8C during this period). It seemed to do really fine and it was actually growing new traps which I took as an indication of it's well being.

Here is a picture a couple of days after buying it:
Screenshot_20220329-144758_Planta.jpg
Screenshot_20220329-144758_Planta.jpg (92.91 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Two days ago I decided to repot it since the original pot was really small. I tried to handle it with care but I feel so clumsy when handling plants. :oops: Two days after repoting it doesn't look to good anymore.
20220329_144354.jpg
20220329_144354.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 1047 times
Some of the old traps have started wilting and drying up. The new leaves seem fine for now. However, there was a really tiny leaf that was starting to grow from the middle and that seems to have dried out as well, which got me worried.
I would also like to mention that I am not sure if the plant went through it's dormancy period.

While taking the picture for this post, I also noticed that the rhizome isn't covered completely. Will that be a problem in the future? If yes, I can try to cover it up but I would rather not, since I feel so clumsy and always have the impression that I'm crushing the plant with my fingers.
You can see the rhizome in the next picture:
20220329_144431.jpg
20220329_144431.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1047 times
By Panman
It looks okay to me. Watch that new trap leaf that is forming. If it starts drying out, then you may have a problem. Often times repotting them causes them to look pretty droopy for a little while. If you are really concerned about it, you can put the whole pot in a plastic bag for a week or two, until it recovers. If you do that, do not put it in direct sun as you will cook it.
By Beniamin Szabo
Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm gonna keep an eye on that leaf. Just for reference, in the first picture, it is the tiny one right next to the two flower stalk stubs. It grew a lot in the two weeks and now it seems like it stopped but that is probably due to the plant being stunned from repoting.
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!