FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
Posted earlier concerning propagation of my D. Regia and an individual linked to the following thread:

D. Regia Leaf Cutting

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Not exactly sure how to do it, but I want to try. My questions are:

1. Does it need to be the whole leaf?
2. Should it be a newer leaf (I.e. With dew)
3. Do I just put it on top of sphagnum?
4. Do I cover with sphagnum?
5. Since it will likely get slimy, how long until I should pot any little plants that sprout up?

Any other advice? Thanks!
By Benurmanii
1. A whole leaf would last much longer, and since the general consensus is still that regia is hard to strike, I would take a whole leaf.

2. Newer leaves almost always work best with Drosera cuttings

3. You can just put it on top of sphagnum, or you could put it in pure distilled water.

4. Don't cover it with sphagnum, it will need plenty of light.

5. If you don't want the plantlets to root into the media you struck the cutting on, I would transplant it after they get one or two leaves out (though it really doesn't matter as long as you keep the plantlets on wet media). Make sure to keep a good portion of the leaf around the plantlets.
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:1. A whole leaf would last much longer, and since the general consensus is still that regia is hard to strike, I would take a whole leaf.

3. You can just put it on top of sphagnum, or you could put it in pure distilled water.

5. If you don't want the plantlets to root into the media you struck the cutting on, I would transplant it after they get one or two leaves out (though it really doesn't matter as long as you keep the plantlets on wet media). Make sure to keep a good portion of the leaf around the plantlets.
Thank you for the advice! Few questions (correspond to the # of the points you made)

3. If I go the distilled route, should the container be sealed or open? Also, when would I plant them or would I just set the whole lead with plantlets on sphag?

5. What do you mean by "make sure to keep a good portion of the leaf around the plantlets"?

Also, should I decide to go with the sphagnum route, should I place the sticky side up or down? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
tannerm wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:1. A whole leaf would last much longer, and since the general consensus is still that regia is hard to strike, I would take a whole leaf.

Thank you for the advice! Few questions (correspond to the # of the points you made)

3. If I go the distilled route, should the container be sealed or open? Also, when would I plant them or would I just set the whole lead with plantlets on sphag?

5. What do you mean by "make sure to keep a good portion of the leaf around the plantlets"?

Also, should I decide to go with the sphagnum route, should I place the sticky side up or down? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People generally close the container so they don't have to constantly fill it back up with water.

What I mean is that if you want to plant the plantlets as soon as they form (as the leaf can continue making plantlets if it is still green), you will cut off the portion of the leaf with the plantlet you want to put into new media. Keep the sticky side facing the light, that is where the new plants will form.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!