FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
1 week! I initially put them under artificial lights for 3 straight days. The light was not turned off for the night. This might be the fastest germination I've ever had!

(edit)

Oops.. it's around 10 days.
Last edited by Adam on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Adam
Here is the picture of my setup
Attachments:
The light used
The light used
IMG_4475.JPG (63.85 KiB) Viewed 5871 times
Where they sit
Where they sit
IMG_4474.JPG (70.98 KiB) Viewed 5871 times
macro of one of the germinated seeds
macro of one of the germinated seeds
IMG_4471.JPG (40.42 KiB) Viewed 5871 times
By linton
Good work Adam! when I get my seed order I'm going to try it too. What kind of water are you using?
By Adam
Distilled, of course. Maybe a bath in bleach would soften the outer shells more and you could then get germination in a couple of days :o
By watnazn
Thats really cool, I would try that but I think algae would grow on it. You are lucky you have had so much success with your seeds I tried once and it didn't work well, probably 10 percent of my seeds actually germinate, so I will be trying again with different methods.
By English Springer
That is an amazing success Adam.
Were you also utilizing other germination methods?
If so, how do they compare?
Well done! I am def going to try that method next time.
Peace!
E.S.
By Adam
So far this has been the fastest germination.

As for the algae concerns, there was no time for any to grow lol!
By linton
What kind of lighting are you using? Obviously it looks like a compact florescent bulb, Duh! but is there anything special about the light spectrum or wattage??
By Adam
nope.. just warmth and water really.. I think the same would have happened with no light and just warmth..
By Adam
Alright.. planted the first 18.. waiting on 7 to germinate still. I boiled the soil mix, washed the pot, put the soil in the pot, planted them, put them in a ziplock bag, added water to the bottom of the bag, sealed it and now it's under grow lights. Once leaves form, I'm poking holes in the bag, after week, I'm opening the bag and then they go outside.
By Nickrober
Adam wrote:Alright.. planted the first 18.. waiting on 7 to germinate still. I boiled the soil mix, washed the pot, put the soil in the pot, planted them, put them in a ziplock bag, added water to the bottom of the bag, sealed it and now it's under grow lights. Once leaves form, I'm poking holes in the bag, after week, I'm opening the bag and then they go outside.
Sounds cool. Take some pics.
By watnazn
Alright, well adam, you convinced me to try this method. What exactly are the procedures you do in cleaning and sterilizing. And do you think a plastic container would work. Also, any other tips, I want to try to get this perfect with a very high germinating rate. Alright, thanks for the post it was really interesting.
By Adam
The sterilization does not have to be as good as in TC. In TC you have a nutrient soup. Here you just have the potting mix. Even if some spores DO survive, the chances that they are attached to something that has enough nutrition for them will be slim. I did seal one though without the sterilization and got algae growing on the surface almost within a day.

So I just bring the potting mix to a boil. I let almost all the water evaporate. The pot is washed with dish detergent then rinsed in regular water and shaken dry. I then spoon in the soil mix into the pot and press it down.

This part could be different: I let the pot sit somewhere until the temperature of the thing gets low enough. I add some distilled water to make sure it's saturated and it cools it off as well. The part that might change here is to put the pot in a ziplock before it cools off to keep anything airborne from landing in it.

I plant the germinated seeds from the distilled water jar, I add lots of water to the ziplock bag and then seal it.
Attachments:
IMG_4507.JPG
IMG_4507.JPG (69.45 KiB) Viewed 5630 times

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!