FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
Yes! The red form needs to be kept as long as possible in water. Once it starts getting it's trap leaves, then you need to put it in media. Their survival rate is a lot worse that green varieties. They need that boost in pure water with a bit of sun during the day. They won't cook when suspended in clear water.
By Matt
Adam wrote:Yes! The red form needs to be kept as long as possible in water. Once it starts getting it's trap leaves, then you need to put it in media. Their survival rate is a lot worse that green varieties. They need that boost in pure water with a bit of sun during the day. They won't cook when suspended in clear water.
Ah, the reds are so hard to keep healthy!
By lemonlily
I did that bag thing to those moss-ish type thing. It's growing.

Why are the green one's healthier?
By Adam
The reds are the trickiest especially when this small..
By lemonlily
What makes them the trickiest?
By Adam
They grow slowly. This gives time for other things to interfere. So far, boiled media and sealing in a ziplock has done the trick in making sure they are the only things growing in any substantial degree.
By lemonlily
Oh, okay. I'm gonna annoy you but I'm just gonna keep asking. What makes them grow slow?

I'm not asking for no reason, I honestly want to know. And I'm very stupid as everyone knows.
By Adam
I think it's their dark colouration that makes it more difficult for them to get as much energy as the green variety. I'm only speculating. If someone knows the real reason why, please be the next to post :)
By lemonlily
Maybe it's harder for the light to get to the inside of leaves?
By tgplp
My seeds are still coming in the mail, but i'd love to try this method! Thanks for sharing!

~Tgplp :)
By Darkrai283
Adam, I know it was about a year ago but when you said if you put the seeds in bleach they might germinate faster, but if that is true, how long would you put them in bleach as I've got about 20 vft seeds now which I want to plant/put them in distilled/pure water.

Thanks
Richard
By dmagnan
A large part of chlorophyll's absorbance spectrum lies in visible red light. Plants appear red because they produce more anthrocyanin (sp?), which reflects red light. The more of the dye the plant produces, the more red light gets reflected away and the plant can't produce as much energy. Little seedlings probably need all the energy they can get, and the red color deprives them of some of it. Something to try may be to use a "cool blue" bulb, something more in the 400nm range, for red seedlings.

I also had a question about the water germination method. Don't the seeds need oxygen? Do you aerate the water?
Attachments:
Chlorophyll.jpg
Chlorophyll.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 4923 times
By chilipepper
I also want to know more about the lighting, is it necessary or do i just need to keep them warm?
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!