FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I've read many things, here and on other cp forums, regarding what to expect after I receive a monkey cup plant.
Some say that I can fully expect any and all pitchers to die off and then I have to wait for new ones to grow.
Others say that the pitchers will be just fine, they should refill on their own, I could even put in a little bit of distilled water to help it along. Along the same line, it is suggested to throw a bug in, as the movement of the bug will stimulate the pitcher to refill faster.
This is a N. Ventricosa, actually two of them (Twins baby!), with multiple pitchers pushing four inches tall. The seller was very, very meticulous in packaging the plants for shipping and there was no damage anywhere from shipping. However, the pitchers were all drained due to the handling from the USPS.
Should I expect a die off? Or be a little more attentive and give it a bit more love?
Thanks for your 2 cents,
Chef
ChefDean liked this
By optique
From my past experience, fill 1/3 with distilled water. Do not fertilize/feed until it starts growing could take 2 days or 2 weeks depends on how bad it was shocked. I have never lost more than 1 pitcher. I picked up some very badly treated plants from a local garden center, took over 2 weeks to show any change all. they also had no pitchers to lose =p
optique liked this
By praxxus
I'm new to this, but I have some anecdotal advice. When I received my two plants, (N. spectabilis x maxima and N. truncata), I placed a gallon ziplock bag around them (They were small enough that both could fit in one bag). I placed them under led lights, and filled up the pitchers 1/5 fill with distilled water. After around 4 days, I took the bags off. It's been around 3 weeks, and the couple pitchers that were originally on them did not dry up. However, it took a while before they produced new leaves again.
praxxus liked this
By oval
I think it depends on the age of the individual pitchers - the older ones might die off the younger ones might refill a little. You can add a little pure water to the pitcher (I don't know if it is necessary, though); it's easy to overfill, but the plant will probably adjust the water level on its own.

How quickly it adjusts depends on how close its new environment is to its former environment. Some are more picky than others, but N. ventricosa seems to be very a very adaptable plant.

Oh, and the meticulous shipping helps a lot.

Good luck!
oval liked this
By Tryner78
As the seller I don't know if it is awkward to post on this, but here we go- My only caution would be to acclimate them a bit, as recommended by @praxxus . Since I grew them inside, they might be a bit shocked by heat or direct sunlight for a while.
(also, thanks for the feedback!) :D
Tryner78 liked this
By ChefDean
Tryner78 wrote:As the seller I don't know if it is awkward to post on this, but here we go- My only caution would be to acclimate them a bit, as recommended by @praxxus . Since I grew them inside, they might be a bit shocked by heat or direct sunlight for a while.
(also, thanks for the feedback!) :D
You're very welcome, the feedback is well deserved.
I had planned on inside for a while as its pushing 90 outside here in Clarksville. That might be too much for its system right now. After it acclimates to that, I'll start putting it out in the AM to get some morning light, but bring it back in before it gets too hot. Of course I'll have to bring it in for the Winter, but next Spring should make for a good time for a more permanent outdoor home until the next Winter.
Thanks again Tryner,
Chef
By Do_Gon
Damn it, those are pretty! @Tryner78 sure knows what he's doing packing and shipping those. I was also lucky enough to get some plants from him. Nepenthes'cups were all undamaged and beautiful. I'll try to post pix later on tonight but it might have to wait til tomorrow or Saturday. I WILL post them though. What photo sharing site does everyone use to post on here. Last one I used was Photobucket YEARS ago.
By ChefDean
Do_Gon wrote:What photo sharing site does everyone use to post on here. Last one I used was Photobucket YEARS ago.
There's a tool on this site you can use. Just hit the "upload attachment" button under the reply box, choose the file, add it, then click place inline. I believe that the file has to be on the device you're using though.
By Do_Gon
ChefDean wrote:
Do_Gon wrote:What photo sharing site does everyone use to post on here. Last one I used was Photobucket YEARS ago.
There's a tool on this site you can use. Just hit the "upload attachment" button under the reply box, choose the file, add it, then click place inline. I believe that the file has to be on the device you're using though.
Oh, nice. Thanks for the heads up.
By yardleyq1987
I got tryner’s vft collection and I was not disappointed. He clearly is an expert in packing because all the plants arrived flawless. I’m very content with the plants. Thanks again tryner78!
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yardleyq1987 liked this
By ChefDean
Dang! Nice haul. You're more ambitious than I am, but I don't have much experience with VFT's. My very first cp was a Nep from a nursery in Utah. No label, it was a stowaway pot mixed in with their orchid order, most likely a Ventricosa. I had that thing for a few years, doing the best I could, but my kids took it out to show friends and dropped it in the middle of the street.
They panicked and left it there until I found it 7 hours later on a 112° day, the street was probably 140°+. It was cooked.
If that big flytrap splits, and you need to thin them out, hit me up. ;)
By yardleyq1987
ChefDean wrote:Dang! Nice haul. You're more ambitious than I am, but I don't have much experience with VFT's. My very first cp was a Nep from a nursery in Utah. No label, it was a stowaway pot mixed in with their orchid order, most likely a Ventricosa. I had that thing for a few years, doing the best I could, but my kids took it out to show friends and dropped it in the middle of the street.
They panicked and left it there until I found it 7 hours later on a 112° day, the street was probably 140°+. It was cooked.
If that big flytrap splits, and you need to thin them out, hit me up. ;)
I’m a huge fan of vfts so this was my opportunity to build the arsenal. Funny thing now that you mention neps, the one pictures above is my first nep in the collection. Let’s see how it does. And yes, once I have several divisions I’ll be posting so be on the lookout .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yardleyq1987 liked this
By Do_Gon
Here's mine from @Tryner78 . Nepenthes getting some morning sun. Saracennias waiting for theirs. VFT waking up. And my Drosera putting up a stalk. Thanks again @Tryner78 .ImageImageImageImage
Do_Gon, Do_Gon liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!