FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By RogerMcAllen
So I'm fairly new to the hobby (had a vft that did pretty well last year but I killed it trying to force dormancy) and ordered a pair of 3-5 year old plants from BugBitingPlants.com (http://www.bugbitingplants.com/venus_flytraps2.php) to replace it. They arrived with the bulbs wrapped in wet paper towel. Most of the traps were open, which I think is a good sign that it had a pretty gentle ride.

Pros:
Fast shipping (arrived in 3 days)
Quick to respond to email
Bulbs are nice and white, and there appears to be some good new white growth at the bottom of the roots
The plants seem to look about as good as I could expect having sat in a box for 4 days (partially my fault because it was sent back to the post office when I wasn't home)
The shipping charged was pretty close to the actually shipping cost ($7 charged, $5.49 actual postage).

Cons:
I never received a tracking number, and I was told that the plant would be shipping next week. I was caught unprepared when it arrived yesterday, so I wasn't home to receive it and had to pick it up today.

Overall I'd say I had a pretty decent experience.
Last edited by RogerMcAllen on Tue May 24, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Eric
Congrats on the new plants, I've never ordered from their before, but it looks like it came alright. :D
By lil_mike227
man your one of the lucky ones who ordered from bugbittingplants because i ordered three from there and one didnt even grow a single trap since i got it and only one made it out of dormacy..i never ordered from them again and i wasnt the only person dissapoited with them but ur plants came in good condition congrats. and happy growing :)
lil_mike227 liked this
By dantt99
Same here you got lucky! I ordered 3 plants from them, one died in a week, the other died in the middle of dormancy, and only 1 (typical) is doing anything :( Lucky! :D
By Newbee
I would have to agree,those are some nice looking plants.I ordered from bugbiteingplants.com a month ago.I had ordered a sundew,I was dissapointed when i received it because from the picture they make the plant look all big and colorful.When i got the plant it was very tiny and green looked like a weed.Also same thing happened with me no tracking number.So looking to shop somewhere else from now on.
By jamez
It's not their fault it flowered. It's like blaming Matt because a new leaf grew. The stalks were probab;y shroter than that when they were shipped also. When I don't let some flower I let the stalks get to 5" so they don't grow a new one after I cut it. Flower takes "some" energy away from the plant. And they GAVE you the choice to leave it or cut it.
By frog
My first plant I ever got was from them. I also got two bags of growing medium I open the box and can't find my plant I think they must have forgot it. I even emailed them then I find little piece of paper towel with this tiny little pant inside. It's dead now I see no reason to buy from them again.
By dantt99
When I ordered I got 3 plants. 1 was dead when it came, the second died a month after, and the third never even fully recovered after shipping and died.
By Shes Crofty
Maybe they are realizing that they should start sending better quality plants? How many people here have purchased from them and made complaints?

I had a lovely (sarcasm) experience on amazon.com with a place called Hirts Gardens. It took almost a week for them to actually ship out the product, and when it was received I was less than pleased. I got some 3 pack (flytrap, drosera, and some other plant I haven't identified yet) in a small plastic bog terrarium about 6in tall, with peat moss and uninformative instructions. Very vague, peat moss soaked instructions. Example: Water - Lots! Sun - Lots! Good luck!. (Those instructions later led me to googling the care of these plants, which led to me finding this site :D) Anyways, after opening the package we made a complaint. What I'd received was a squished flytrap with broken leaves, a drosera that looked like a clump of dirt, and some other plant that was impossible to identify because the lid leaf was broken off. Not worth the $40 I spent, so yeah.. I felt a little gypped and requested my money back. I thought it was hilarious to find that they wouldn't give a refund without seeing pictures of the packaging. What it looked like was someone just put 3 plants in a 6in tall mini bog terrarium with some peat moss, packing peanuts, and instructions all taped together. It was almost as if they didn't think about what it would look like when it would arrive to the buyer. Maybe I overreacted, but I've never received this poor of packaging when buying plants online. Those white strips and clear strips across the bottom half of the mini terrarium are tape. Pieces of the plants they shipped were attached to the tape in some way. It definitely hurt the plants more than it helped.

Tl;dr

Always buy your carnivorous babies from the flytrap store :)
Attachments:
IMG_2371.JPG
IMG_2371.JPG (117.25 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
IMG_2369.JPG
IMG_2369.JPG (95.17 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
IMG_2367.JPG
IMG_2367.JPG (88.52 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
By jamez
dantt99 wrote:When I ordered I got 3 plants. 1 was dead when it came, the second died a month after, and the third never even fully recovered after shipping and died.
They will ALWAYS recover from shipping. It had to be a different cause.
Maybe it was already dying. Being shook around in a box will not affect the plant for long.
Even if it's in the same condition as it was when it came, it's not because of shipping.
By RogerMcAllen
jamez wrote:It's not their fault it flowered. It's like blaming Matt because a new leaf grew. The stalks were probab;y shroter than that when they were shipped also. When I don't let some flower I let the stalks get to 5" so they don't grow a new one after I cut it. Flower takes "some" energy away from the plant. And they GAVE you the choice to leave it or cut it.
Good call, I'll edit my original post. This was my first post, and at the time everything I had read said to clip it. I was such a nub at the time that I callously threw them away as opposed to trying to propagate them.
By corbeano
Yeah, my first flytraps came from bugbiting plants. I got the wrong ones and they were pretty sickly. The owner was not too happy that I took objection to him sending me the wrong ones.
Is This What To Look For?

Thank you. So as long as I know where the names ca[…]

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!