FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By staze
Hey All,

Just curious if anyone has ever tried Al's Gritty (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/13825 ... experinece or https://www.bonsaijack.com/blog/breakin ... ritty-mix/) for Mexican Pings. I had a Moranensis years ago, that died for reasons I don't recall (maybe just old age), and recently bought another one. After a lot of reading about people saying they go all mineral, I thought "wait, I wonder if Al's Gritty would work. I mixed some up and added a tiny bit of Gypsum, and so far, they seem to be doing okay. I'm just curious if I'm breaking new ground. =)

Related: those that plant in abalone shells. Do you drill a hole for drainage, or just keep a close eye on the water level?
By Bob Beer
I don’t know why it wouldn’t work. Several of the Mexican species grow in light pine forest. Adding gypsum (or some limestone sand) would take care of any unwanted excess acidity. If you try it, let us know how it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By heywhathuh
I used to use that mix for my houseplants. While it works well for that purpose, and I suspect it would work well for Pings also, I would likely never use it for one simple reason:

My Ping mix is cheaper and takes less time to mix (because I do not sift any ingredient.)

That being said, I am also interested in hearing about your results!
By Bob Beer
I’m frequently amazed at what Pings will grow in. Our main goal is to provide a medium that will hold moisture and also assure air flow to the roots. I’ve seen them grow in crushed pumice, in pieces of pumice, in pure turface, in complex mixes, in cactus and succulent soil. I’ve seen them grown fine in almost mucky peat-perlite mixes, though I think that can lead to problems in the long run...but there are still so many variables.

I’ve come to believe that many of the situations that they grow in are more a matter of their being able to grow in those conditions, finding a niche, rather than strictly requiring them. Like vertical limestone cliffs...does it mean they have to have limestone? More often than not, no. Will they grow better with it? Some might very well. Sort of like saying “x Tillandsia grows mainly on oak trees” and concluding that it must be on oak wood to thrive in cultivation. Sometimes we don’t see the forest for the trees.

Even the winter dry period seems quite flexible, with some people taking care to keep their plants completely dry and saying they “must” be kept so, while others keep things a little moist, and others never changing their watering regimen at all. And all having success despite the dire predictions of others!

So I think it’s great that people who have the space are willing to devote it to trying new things. The only “caution” I’d suggest is against assuming that because a plant grows in x conditions, those are all hard and fast requirements; as well as assuming that what works for one person under his or her local conditions and variables will necessarily be valid for all, much less a rule.

Bob Beer liked this
By DragonsEye
I'd agree ... shouldn't be an issue. Also if you have some of gritty mix already made up, giving it a go makes sense.
By jeff
I think, however, that the nature of the soil, the humidity, the sunshine, possibly the dormancy (in winter or in dry period) are very important points in nature.
each plant has needs inscribed in their gene.

that's why some plants are bio-indicator 'in situ' .

for the ping I often ask myself the question, why we find so much in calcicole environments, as well in europe as in cuba or mexico ?

I do not think it was a ' hasard' ( in french ,I did not find the equivalent in English ).There must be a reason

for some in temperate environments for example, their change of environment from limestone to an acid environment or vice versa is detrimental to them,even death.
By Bob Beer
Of course I am talking about Mexican pings here; I wouldn’t go putting a primuliflora or a vulgaris on limestone. :-)

But the fact that a plant can or does grow on a particular substrate in nature doesn’t necessarily mean that it has to. It may simply be that by its ability to grow there, it eliminates competition from plants that are unable to survive in that habitat. Hence we see some people growing Mexican pings successfully in Sphagnum or even a regular peat-based houseplant mix. Not saying that all will be happy there, but some definitely can thrive in it!

By jeff
Bonjour

here in europe the vulgaris is said to indiferentiary environments, it can be found 'in situ' in calcareous environments or in acidic environments.

I agree on the substance with you, but nevertheless for the Mexicans a lot of them,not all, have been found 'in situ' in calcareous environments ;)

now hydroponics for them may be an option, however, passing a species of limestone or gypsicole environments in acidic environments seems not wise.

after each done in his own way

jeff
By staze
So, I've got now three pings in Al's Gritty (I just put a gigantea in there). I added some crushed coral to the normal Al's gritty for the gigantea. I've also top dressed the moranensis with crushed coral.

So far, they've all been happy, but I just noticed something today. My moranensis has tiny suckers coming up from around the moranensis. So it MUST be happy. =) That said, I'm surprised it hasn't shown any signs of dormancy.
By staze
jeff wrote:Bonjour

have you a picture ?
what are your growing conditions: temperature - watering ?

your moranensis are type's specie ?
Just typical as far as I know. Temperature is almost a constant 72-ish degrees F (so, room temp?). Light is what makes it through my window plus office lighting. Window is a large Low-E window facing south (but there's a building directly across the way, so that blocks a fair amount of direct light this time of year) Watering is probably once a week (it's late fall/winter here) top watering to filling the little tray and then letting that soak up or evaporate. Water is building water, which I measure at about 22ppm TDS.

You can JUST see the little suckers sticking up past the main rosette.
2018-12-18 09.12.55.jpg
2018-12-18 09.12.55.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 5561 times
Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!