FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DuaneB
First of all... Hi!
First post here so be gentle! ;-)

I apologise in advance but im not sure what section this question should be in since it deals with various topics.

I do not as yet own any carnivorous plants, in currently in the planning stages.

I've got the substrate sorted out and the watering situation figured out. I'll be watering straight from the garden hose...
Calmed down yet? lol
I live in Scotland, our water is legendary! Haha!! Itested my water with a TDS meter and registered only 22ppm.
I also tested, out of pure curiosity, our rain water and that registered 13ppm so I think im good all round.
I knew there was a benefit somewhere to living under constant rain, lol

I really want to grow several different types of carnivorous plants together. Mainly Venus, sundews and pitchers.

I wish to arrange them in such a way that it creates a kind of large 'Alien planet' landscape scene with perhaps some small rocks on the surface of the substrate to really help set the look and feel.

My question is this... Spacing.
How close can they be to each other without having any detrimental effect?

Many thanks in advance!
By Shadowtski
I'd suggest a 15 - 30 cm spacing between plants.

The reason for this distance is so you can dig up one plant without affecting its neighbor.

Some CP get very sulky and distressed when their roots are disturbed.

For the most part, the roots merely anchor the plants, bring up moisture from the media, and in some cases, store up energy for next year. They usually don't intake nutrients.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Hello DuaneB!

I think the spacing would be fine. Sarracenia grow next to VFTs in the wild as well as Cephalotus and D. hamiltonii, also Nepenthes and some Drosera grow next to each other.

I would start out them about 2-3 inches apart, although pings will develop basals and eventually they will touch each other.
That is fine and has worked for me. Sometimes the capensis intermingle their roots with my VFT's and it takes a long time to pry them apart :mrgreen:.

Hope this helps!
Nepenthes0260
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Doublebass1985
I can't remember correctly but 22 ppm might be a little high I thought you want it around 7-9 ppm. I could be wrong though. I just use distilled water myself and it works well. I will use rainwater too, but I haven't had a chance to collect any in the last month or so. Good luck with your future endeavor!
By Huntsmanshorn
DuaneB wrote:
My question is this... Spacing.
How close can they be to each other without having any detrimental effect?

Many thanks in advance!
I would say Shadowtski is right on for most of the plants you seem interested in but if you are going to grow any of the low growing Sarracenia, like Sarracenia purpurea or Sarracenia psittacina, you are going to want to go at least 30 to 45 cm apart as they can get pretty big and take up quite a bit of room.
Huntsmanshorn liked this

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!