FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Laizura
I have heard that maxsea is a good fertilizer for cp's but u want to know how much to use and what cp's to use it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Earthy
I use MaxSea on my flytraps, sarrs, and bladderworts. it doesn't seem to hurt them and it works well. I use 1/4 teaspoon to 1 gallon of distilled water :)
By katya_dog1
Soil fertilizing can cause algae growth. Just mist your plants with the solution.

I have found that for my plants, I never, ever can root-feed with 1/4 strength MaxSea (my standard foliar concentration). They do not tolerate it.
Last edited by katya_dog1 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By zsyxcbibi
I see, that makes sense. But how often to spray it? I am planning to try out maxsea next spring on some of my CPs.
By katya_dog1
I use 1/4 strength once per week. Just one light misting, I don't do much. Every couple of weeks I will heavily mist the plants with plain water to try to wash off any residual salts that might be on the leaves.
By zsyxcbibi
Sorry, one more question, do you use the all purpose one or the acid one? Will the acid one do better? as vfts like lower ph.
By katya_dog1
All purpose, I guess. I've never seen the acid type.
By katya_dog1
Duh. Sorry, I'm not thinking correctly today. If I had been, I would have told you 16-16-16 is the one you want. The one with the iris on the front, that's what I remembered, but I should have just told you the NPK ratio.

All that aside, MaxSea is by far the best all-purpose CP fertilizer. It will make your plants grow like never before. Just remember that for more delicate plants like Sphagnum and the Queensland sundews, you don't want to use it once a week. Use a low concentration (1/4 tsp per gallon), and try to only do it every two weeks, at most. Sarracenia and Nepenthes are very tough and can easily take and enjoy a misting of 1/2 strength every week.

To be safe, if you're ever trying it out on a new plant, use a slightly more dilute concentration (like 1/6 or 1/8) every two weeks and work your way up as the plant adjusts.

Always flush the soil of fertilized plants every month to eliminate any excess buildup.
By w03
I second the tip on Queensland sundews, D. schizandra in particular is susceptible to mold and leaf burning but it does seem to appreciate an occasional light fertilization. Maxsea is great for feeding Drosera since you can just mix and spray the leaves instead of tediously feeding each one like you would do with fish food or dried insects. You can use it exactly the same way on Byblis as well.

Soil fertilizing is actually ok for large-leafed Utricularia and to some extent Pinguicula grown in inorganic media (since it has no nutrients to begin with). With utrics use a low concentration and just pour some on. I use a little less than 1/4 tsp/gallon for sturdy things like U. calycifida or U. longifolia and less for others, especially if they grow really wet like U. nelumbifolia. Be careful though, it'll often turn your sphagnum mucky green and degrade it (the easy species won't mind too much though). It also seems to work with low concentrations for G. hispidula, but mold and algae grows everywhere from the wet conditions and warmth.

The best part is since you generally need only low concentrations, unless you have a huge amount of plants a single jar of Maxsea will last ages.
By Earthy
zsyxcbibi wrote:Do you spray it or just water it? How often?
I "paint" it on with a tiny oil painting brush. just apply it to the leaves; that way it doesn't get into the soil
By zsyxcbibi
Ugh, that sounds a lot of work. I have a lot vfts, I can not afford the time to do that :(
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!