FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
I'm wondering how wet are these supposed to be kept (I water when the LFS starts getting dry to the touch)? And is it also normal for these to lose old leaves after a repot like flytraps? I was able to get the whole plug out and put it in the new LFS so I don't think I damaged it at all. And also is it normal for the leaves to turn purplish? The ones that have been emerging are doing just that. Thanks in advance for any help :)
By w03
I keep mine at least moist all the time, but never wet enough to be completely soaked. About the same as the other epiphytic utrics (maybe just a bit wetter). I've seen purplish new leaves before; they usually stay purple only when there's a lot of light exposure and they're getting a bit burned.

When I repot I usually don't notice that much leaf death, but there's some. Most just stay as is until they die normally or grow new stolons from the tips and turn into new plants.
w03 liked this
By Earthy
Grow new what lol? How do I know what those look like? And the leaves came out purplish...like that was the color when they first started heading up...
By w03
It's normal for the leaves to come out purple.

Stolons are modified stems - Utricularia do not actually have any roots at all, but instead a network of these modified stems which are the "roots" you see on them. It's a lot more decentralized than a normal plant in that leaves can pop up pretty much anywhere among the stolon system, and you can lop off pieces of stolon and grow them out as a result. Like other sect. Orchidioides Utricularia, U. reniformis has somewhat more chunky stolons that may rot a bit more easily when you cut them but it still works well. (Technically the "leaves" are also modified stems and the real leaves are the bladders, but this isn't super important).
w03 liked this
By Earthy
w03 wrote:It's normal for the leaves to come out purple.

Stolons are modified stems - Utricularia do not actually have any roots at all, but instead a network of these modified stems which are the "roots" you see on them. It's a lot more decentralized than a normal plant in that leaves can pop up pretty much anywhere among the stolon system, and you can lop off pieces of stolon and grow them out as a result. Like other sect. Orchidioides Utricularia, U. reniformis has somewhat more chunky stolons that may rot a bit more easily when you cut them but it still works well. (Technically the "leaves" are also modified stems and the real leaves are the bladders, but this isn't super important).
ah I see now...yea, the plug is putting up a lot new stolons here lately it seems as the old ones die off. and the "stems" have a ton of bladders on them lol...do these rot easily? should I be keeping them a little drier?
By Earthy
w03 wrote:U. reniformis is pretty tolerant as far as moisture is concerned (at least compared to other members of its group). Keep it at least moist all the time, but don't soak it and you'll be fine.
okay sounds good. cause my current routine is put water in it's tray, let it soak it up and dry out till the pot feels light, then water again...
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!