FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
Posts:  1292
Joined:  Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:58 pm
#244403
so, I was wondering if any of my sundews will need a dormancy? I have D. Binata and a D. Alicea for sure. not sure what the other 2 are lol...I posted pics of them in the Sundew part of the forum...any advice?
By Mufasa
Posts:  858
Joined:  Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 am
#244404
My binatas will typically go dormant during winter, they are tuberous (i think thats the right word), well either way, they will go dormant, and when they do, you can dig the roots up, and split them into new cuttings, not sure about alicea though.

edit: some (or most?) drosera don't go dormant at all.. i think it's the tropical ones that stay active year round.
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2075
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#244422
D. binata depends on the form. Some go dormant, some don't, and some only if conditions are bad. D. alicae does not require dormancy.
By fattytuna
Posts:  749
Joined:  Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:00 am
#244449
Drosera binata aren't tuberous, though they have thick, fleshy roots. Most types of D. binata respond to changing day lengths and will go dormant over winter. No need to chill it.

D. aliciae does not grow dormant and will grow year round.
By Earthy
Posts:  1292
Joined:  Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:58 pm
#244452
So, I should just put them in the south window and let them go dormant if they want to?
By Mufasa
Posts:  858
Joined:  Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 am
#244454
fattytuna wrote:Drosera binata aren't tuberous, though they have thick, fleshy roots. Most types of D. binata respond to changing day lengths and will go dormant over winter. No need to chill it.

D. aliciae does not grow dormant and will grow year round.
thanks, wasnt sure if it was the right term :geek: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
By MichaelGuardian
Posts:  278
Joined:  Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 am
#245062
The drosera binata is temperate, so it requires dormancy, the aliciae is tropical, no dormancy required, and if you live in an area with cold winters, then you can just put the binata outside during the winter and let the plant get the natural dormancy.
By Earthy
Posts:  1292
Joined:  Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:58 pm
#245131
If I put them outside during winter they would be forked Popsicles lol...freeze solid.
By MichaelGuardian
Posts:  278
Joined:  Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 am
#245153
If they freeze, that's ok, last year, where I live (in Charlotte, North Carolina) it was snowing on my bog container full of vfts and sundews and sarrs, it was extreme weather and the plants were frozen, and when I touched the soil, it was frozen solid, but surprisingly, in spring, it came back :D
By fattytuna
Posts:  749
Joined:  Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:00 am
#245234
Not sure if all D. binata varieties could survive being frozen. Some come from the mountains or south, so it does snow every year but a lot of the 'larger' populations are from coastal subtropical australia. It never snows at these regions.
By MichaelGuardian
Posts:  278
Joined:  Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 am
#245239
Yeah, in my bog, I don't have binatas in it, only have intermedias and some sarrs and vfts, I don't know about binata. I also have a Drosera X Martson's Dragon, which is a cross between 2 binata varieties, I think it was d. Dichotoma and d. Binata multifida extrema, and I heard people say that it doesn't need dormancy, last year, I didn't give it dormancy and it's looking fine, I guess that hybrid just doesn't need dormancy.
By Puppetashley
Posts:  28
Joined:  Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:08 am
#245252
Does drosera spatulata (I think it's spelled like that, I'm sorry lol) go into dormancy? I think I read somewhere that they don't, but I'm not sure..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
By MichaelGuardian
Posts:  278
Joined:  Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 am
#245273
Puppetashley wrote:Does drosera spatulata (I think it's spelled like that, I'm sorry lol) go into dormancy? I think I read somewhere that they don't, but I'm not sure...
Spatulatas are tropical, meaning they don't need dormancy. Most rosetted sundews are tropical, examples are d. burmanii, d. spatulata, d. slackii. Pretty much, sundews that have spoon-shaped leaves are rosetted and tropical. But some exclusions are d. intermedia and d. capillaris
By Puppetashley
Posts:  28
Joined:  Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:08 am
#245357
MichaelGuardian wrote:
Puppetashley wrote:Does drosera spatulata (I think it's spelled like that, I'm sorry lol) go into dormancy? I think I read somewhere that they don't, but I'm not sure...
Spatulatas are tropical, meaning they don't need dormancy. Most rosetted sundews are tropical, examples are d. burmanii, d. spatulata, d. slackii. Pretty much, sundews that have spoon-shaped leaves are rosetted and tropical. But some exclusions are d. intermedia and d. capillaris
Oh alright, makes sense, thank you! :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just so you've seen 'em, not all indoor solutions […]

Lizard!

Wasps, particularly Yellow Jackets, would eat a li[…]

why no nepenthes lowii x hamata?

I’ve wondered that too. My best guess is tha[…]

Flower Stalk

@FunkeePanda , Depends. Cut it immediately if yo[…]

When it comes to long fibered sphagnum moss, I swe[…]

Seeds arrived thank you.

Seeds arrived thank you.

Got them! Thank you!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!