FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ToyMaverick
I've been meaning to try and grow my flytraps outdoors as I feel like I'm missing out on part of the experience, and my flytraps could be healthier. I know Flytraps need direct sunlight, however my yard is surrounded by rather huge trees. If placed on my yard a plant would probably only get around 3-4 hours of sun before the shade from the trees rolls in.

Are flytraps tolerant to shade from trees? Or will I need to grow them indoors as I have been?(Outdoors for dormancy)

This is a picture of my lawn at around 3:54pm, facing NE
By Sundew grower
The more sun the better! I would suggest putting them outside in the sunniest place you can find. They will tolerate shade from trees but would rather not have to. It would also depends on how well they've been doing inside, if they've been doing really good, you might not have to move them, but if they are looking a bit sad you should put them outside. Also, if they've been inside their whole life you might want to gradually introduce them to the sun. Preferably you would give them more than 4 hours of sun, but if you can't, do what you can.
By ToyMaverick
Thanks, i'm really not sure my yard has the capacity for 4 hours of unshaded sun. Both of my Flytraps have been doing really well indoors, however i've only had them for a short time now, so that might change. A follow-up question, how long does it take for flytraps to show signs of poor health? Will they start looking unhealthy in a poor environment in a matter of days, or weeks?
By Sundew grower
I'm not sure, I would guess that depends on how poor the environment was. What are the conditions you're growing it in?
By ToyMaverick
Indoors under a 27 watt florescent full spectrum light, one of the agrobrite ones lamps. Kept in a tray of water about a centimeter deep. One has an unfortunately small pot (About 3 inches deep) in pete moss, which I plan to repot at some point, the other has the pot it came in from FlytrapStore in LSM. They both seem pretty healthy as it is, i'm just very new to the hobby.
By Sundew grower
I don't have much experience with artificial light. I'm gonna leave that up to people with more experience.
ToyMaverick liked this
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!