FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By eckrothjoe
Hi! I just bought my new venus fly trap today. It's already doing fine, so I don't need to worry about feeding for a little while. However, I would prefer to avoid buying bugs to feed it if possible. I want to keep it inside as a house decoration, and no bugs come inside. So, would it get enough food if I put it outside for the day a couple times a month or do I have to buy food?
By B-money
I found it was very hit and miss. One day I left my plant outside for 4 hours and it caught nothing. 1 day later it was outside less than 1.5 hours and caught 3 bugs. They have also caught several bugs that were inside my house so don't rule that out :-). Now I manually feed them freeze dried blood worms a few times and then I catch an ant outside and feed the ant to an appropriate sized trap.
I use an old, clean and empty salsa jar, put ant inside and put in my freezer for 5-6 minutes. Check to make sure ant is lethargic but not dead, pick him up with tweezers and place in trap. 50% of the time, the trap closes immediately. If not, as the ant starts to stir it hits triggers and snap. Ant then strugglers and trap seals, dinner time. Yesterday my maroon monster achieved this feat in record time for me. From the time the trap closed until it was fully sealed and beginning digestion was about 15 minutes.
Warning!!! Feeding your plants this way is extremely awesome and addictive! Use at your own risk
By B-money
Most welcome! Good luck!
By omnipercp15
At first it may sound tedious but like B-money said, you will probably find yourself wishing to have more traps so you can feed it more insects that you find randomly or even go out and specifically look for it.

VFTs can also live by light energy/photosynthesis for a really long period of time. I'm not sure if I could say "forever" but at least it means they can go long periods of time without catching actual bugs and insects to eat. If your indoor lighting is sufficient, they will continue to grow.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!