FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By avadakedavra
Frothy_Milk wrote:Have more sun and a little less moisture. Cephalotus can get crown rot and more moisture is worse than less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
O.K.
I don't want to get my cephalotus rot so try to less moist.
By Bob Beer
avadakedavra wrote:
Frothy_Milk wrote:Have more sun and a little less moisture. Cephalotus can get crown rot and more moisture is worse than less.
Exactly, this is what concerns me about the live sphagnum--sufficient moisture to keep live sphagnum happy is almost certainly more than Cephalotus wants.

Some plants, like Sarracenia, are pretty straightforward: Give them this, get that. Others are a little more mysterious and can require some experimentation before you find what works best for you in your local climate and conditions. For plants like that, until someone discovers the elusive "X-Factor" that assures success, general recommendations are the best we can do. Some people will grow Cephalotus for years and then suddenly lose a plant for no obvious reason. I grow Pinguicula and generally have really good results but right now I'm losing one and have no idea why. And so it goes...we learn from our failures too!

One problem with slightly temperamental plants is that different things work for different people. That's normal, but sometimes one person's success may be accepted as a "rule". I have heard from people who don't water theirs till they actually see the lids wilting a little. In a cool gray and wet place like Holland, that could be a really good idea to prevent cold wet conditions but where I live, summer humidity is low, so it might be more risky.

So be a little skeptical about the more extreme advice, and consider the whole picture. Good luck!

By avadakedavra
Bob Beer wrote:
avadakedavra wrote:
Exactly, this is what concerns me about the live sphagnum--sufficient moisture to keep live sphagnum happy is almost certainly more than Cephalotus wants.

Some plants, like Sarracenia, are pretty straightforward: Give them this, get that. Others are a little more mysterious and can require some experimentation before you find what works best for you in your local climate and conditions. For plants like that, until someone discovers the elusive "X-Factor" that assures success, general recommendations are the best we can do. Some people will grow Cephalotus for years and then suddenly lose a plant for no obvious reason. I grow Pinguicula and generally have really good results but right now I'm losing one and have no idea why. And so it goes...we learn from our failures too!

One problem with slightly temperamental plants is that different things work for different people. That's normal, but sometimes one person's success may be accepted as a "rule". I have heard from people who don't water theirs till they actually see the lids wilting a little. In a cool gray and wet place like Holland, that could be a really good idea to prevent cold wet conditions but where I live, summer humidity is low, so it might be more risky.

So be a little skeptical about the more extreme advice, and consider the whole picture. Good luck!

I think I should keep my cephalotus several way.
I have one big rosette with a few small ones. And one leaf cutting propagation is succeed.

So I repot big one into new soil, leave leaf cutting in sphagnum.
If small rosettes have enough roots, I cut them and put them other pot and set them other place of my house to find best place to keep.

Around my house, it is rainy June to July, hot and wet summer to September, rainy to November and cold dry winter.

Thanks a lot !
I would find best way to care ImageImage
By Bob Beer
I know some people use live sphagnum for their leaf pullings, and had very good success. Others use perlitr, and have good success. Another person just sticks it into the same soil as the adult plant, I did that and the leaf is still looking fine several weeks later. So other than avoiding excess wetness, I don't think there's too much you have to worry about.

By avadakedavra
Bob Beer wrote:I know some people use live sphagnum for their leaf pullings, and had very good success. Others use perlitr, and have good success. Another person just sticks it into the same soil as the adult plant, I did that and the leaf is still looking fine several weeks later. So other than avoiding excess wetness, I don't think there's too much you have to worry about.

Now I know I was too nervous.
I've killed many VFT when I was a child.
I didn't know how to care. There were no books or internet.
And cuz VFT was expensive plants for child, my parents gave me some tasks in exchange for buying it.(like much homework or clean the garden)

Internet is great tool (^_^) I can ask someone how to care or everything!

Thank you again (^ . ^)/

By avadakedavra
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:I'll take a pic when I get back home, put I have a pot overflowing with cephs that came from just sticking about 8 leaves into soil and ignoring it for the next year.
I'm looking forward to seeing your pic !
(^ω^)/
By avadakedavra
Bob Beer wrote:I repotted mine 3 weeks ago. Just be gentle with the roots. Here you can see my soil mix. It's light and open but stays moist enough for a weedy little Drosera capensis to live in it. :-). Image

I repot my cephalotus today from moss to perlite & peat mix soil.

By Bob Beer
Yes, it is clearly not getting enough light, see how the leaves are "reaching?"

By avadakedavra
Bob Beer wrote:Yes, it is clearly not getting enough light, see how the leaves are "reaching?"

Yeah.
Now I know they need more light.
I didn't find it out cuz sphagnum moss grow faster than Cephalotus.
And I find one small head had gone bad.

I picked melted tissue off from stumps.

I would spoil my first cephalotus if I didn't repot it !

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

S. flava or a hybrid

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!