FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Perla Adams
Hello:

As some of you know, I live in Saudi Arabia. I know that Venus Fly Traps stores in USA do not ship the plants outside United States, so my only option is order plants to Europe. I found a online store where I can order a beginner set ( 10 Venus Fly Traps).

One of my husband’s colleague travels back and forth between Saudi and Holland, so I have the option to send the plants to him.
In the European online stores said that the plants can survive 10 days delivery time.

My question is: Do you think the plants really can survive many days in the mail? The set cost Euros 30.00 + shipping, so it is expensive. I need investigate very well if it is really I good investment, I do not want lost the money and broke our illusion about have a Venus Fly Trap.

I will continue trying with seeds (my tissue culture form a test tube Venus Fly trap was failure), I have seed in peat mass and in vitro but still not signals of life.

Thank you
By Matt
I can't comment personally about any stores in the EU, but I know that one of our members here (mlvc2002 - real name is Carl) runs a small online CP store and his plants have gotten good reviews.

As far as delivery time, 10 days in the mail is very doable for flytraps. I think they can last up to a month without too many problems. But the quicker they're out of the box, the less shock they'll experience.
Perla Adams wrote:my tissue culture form a test tube Venus Fly trap was failure
:( Sorry to hear that.
Matt liked this
By Steve_D
Just give the seeds some warmth (but not in direct sun if covered), keep them moist enough to germinate, and be patient. :) Here are some Dionaea seedlings I sowed on April 1 of this year. They began to germinate about 13 days later (15-25 or more is more usual, 10 days is possible with adequate warmth).
dionaea-seedlings.jpg
dionaea-seedlings.jpg (236.15 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
dionaea-seedlings2.jpg
dionaea-seedlings2.jpg (127.69 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Steve_D liked this
By Perla Adams
Hello Steve:
Thank you for give me some hope.

I was feeling very disappointed today after throw away the tissue culture. My first try with seeds was a big failure too , I did everything wrong in that time, but even so I know that I can do the things better now, still I am carry the stress of this past two months.

Right I have 10 seed in MS Media (I placed the seeds on April 30, not contamination so far but also not signal of germination). I have 9 seeds in peat moss and silica sand (but I am not 100% sure it is silica sand) and I have 11 seed still in the refrigerator. I have more coming in the mail plus I am planning to buy more in the flytrapstore.

I am planning to buy Perlite online, just to be sure I have the right stuff, I do not want lost more seeds, it is very sad see a plant die.

Again, thank you for your show me your photos, they baby fly trap looks beautiful.

Blessings
Not sure about my Alice

Got it! Thank you so much, you've just made my day

I AM RIGHT!!!! Lol Duck season!

Ping leaf looking weird?

It actually looks like the two oldest leaves are d[…]

It's flowering???

Make an origami envelope out of waxed paper for th[…]

New variety

I actually got these yesterday, but didn't have t[…]

I ran a little experiment. I took 2 cups of peat […]

USPS changes

I believe you can, but I believe you have to go t[…]

Ahhh. No where near enough light then. I have abou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!