FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
I'm not really too experienced with pygmy drosera but I received some gemmae around mid fall I think. I had recently dropped the photoperiod down before getting them (Remembered asking a question that) and a couple of them are already showing some mature behavior. The verrucata I received as gemmae are currently setting their own gemmae as well as my carburup pot I made has a couple of them putting up flowers. I haven't changed my photoperiod yet as I was late in changing it, keeping my squamosa underground. I'm trying to give it time to get its energy.

Has anyone else had experience with this kind of pygmy behavior? I was led to believe they would demonstrate that kind of behavior next season.
By mo_carnivore
Definitely normal. This winter I had some pots of gemmae that I sowed in early November that were flowering and developing their own gemmae just after Christmas. They grow insanely fast and while only my most vigorous species exhibited this behavior, it's definitely happened on a semi-consistent basis with a few pots out of the many I sow each year.
Apollyon, Supercazzola liked this
By hungrycarnivores
Gemmae are a clonal-propagation method. Clonal propagation is tough so you need high turnover just to ensure at least a few of each plant make it to adulthood. It has some strange implications for many pygmy drosera known in only small regions, as they might just be a single clone that outcompeted it's fellow clones, or outcompeted other species to become the dominant species in the area.
Supercazzola liked this
Nepenthes Ventricosa x Lowii 'red'

My last tobaica leaf jump was double, and the four[…]

Sigh. I thought they would be okay given that they[…]

Happy world carnivorous plant day!

Happy (late) world carnivorous plant day! Sent fr[…]

Guess we were too nice of a place for them ... […]

Cultivar Identification???

in lots of sun light miranda leaves would turn re[…]

Little green purpurea

Purps in general color up red on cold temp Purp[…]

Germinated seeds of VFT

Just a guess, it has to be in low lighting and gro[…]

New humidifier is doing it's magic

Purely a humidifier. Because it's so dry where I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!