FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By hungry carnivores
INTRODUCTION
Pygmy sundews are small, diminuitive sundews from the southwestern parts of Australia. They grow in a semitropical to temperate desert, and are known for the prominent stipules (hairs) that arise from their bud, as well as their notably large flowers. They are very easy plants to keep, and you can keep them even as an absolute beginner.

Species
Lots of species exist, but some notable ones are D. pygmaea (considered the typical species of this clade), D. scorpioides, an erect pygmy sundew that is perennial, and D. pulchella, which makes some of the largest flowers of any drosera, I have had my specimens' flowers be over a centimeter.

Soil requirements
There are no set ways to cultivate Pygmies, and soil is no exception. Plants I have received from CalCarn are sitting in water, waterlogged, in 100% peatmoss.

I use 1/2 peat, 1/2 aggregate, where aggregate can be anything including perlite, sand, aggrofoam, lava rock, or pumice.

Another popular mix is 1/3 perlite, 1/3 peat, 1/3 sand, which mimicks the soil they are found in naturally.

I find perlite topdressings, or sand topdressings, to help prevent moss, which can easily choke out the sundews. LFS (Long fiber sphagnum) is a no-no with pygmies, as it easily rots the spindly roots that pygmies use.

Basic anatomy
Pygmies have a bud on the top of the plant, where all new growth emerges, called the apical meristem. It is shielded by stipules which reflect sunlight, in my research, we presume it to prevent evaporation and dessication of the cells while they do not have much available water. The pygmy sundews produce gemmae (more on that later). They also have very fine tap roots that are fragile, so repotting pygmy sundews is a no-no, and if it must be done, it is a task that should be undertaken with a fair degree of precision.

Sexual reproduction
Please try not to get seed by selfing plants. Very few species in Sect. Bryastrum self- pollinate. They can only set seed when two different clones are crossed. Seeds are not plentiful, and most species produce 5-20 seeds per flower, and the pollination rate, even with manual intervention is quite low.

Pygmy sundew species are likely very monoclonal in origin, since the presence of an advantageous asexual reproduction system allows new strains of each species to outcompete other strains, thus leading to lessening genetic diversity. Thus, it is likely you may not have success with pollination, especially because for some species, only one clone is in cultivation.

Asexual reproduction - GEMMAE
This is what you came for. You always receive pygmy sundews as gemmae, except from nurseries, where they sometimes ship plants. Gemmae are undifferentiated stem cells arising from the meristem of the plant. They are a fleshy bag of tissue with a new active meristem and a root meristem ready to go. Gemmae are produced in the fall and winter following cooler temperatures and a decrease in photoperiod.

To harvest gemmae, I find using forceps is a good idea, but you can also use a thin edge like a plant tag or toothpick. It helps to wet the tool, as they will stick quite well to wet surfaces. To distribute gemmae, fold them in a paper towel, wet the paper towel, bag it, and send it off. To store them, do the same procedure with the paper towel, and store them in your refrigerator. The shelf life of gemmae is roughly 1.5 to 2 months, with exponential decay of viability towards the later months of storage. Do not wait until the gemmae are bound up tightly in the crown, harvest them progressively, as when they bunch tightly, they can fly at large distances, up to a meter.

Gemmae can be planted in any pot, some prefer tall pots, but I find one inch pots work just fine. Use the mixes described above. There is no need to orient gemmae, as the root will find the soil and tap into it. Just be sure to place them about a centimeter apart so they don't over-crowd each other. Some sources say that gemmae should be subjected to high humidity, and all this does is increase their growth rate. I find they work fine at about 50%RH, but bagging them is always a safe move. Ensure good soil contact with a couple sprays from a water bottle, and leave them in high light conditions for a month or two before acclimating them.

Light, watering, etc.
Do not feed your pygmies. They grow fast enough without food. However, if you absolutely feel the need to feed them, use an ant or something small. D. scorpioides is known for catching large prey like flies, but very rarely.

Lighting should be strong lighting, ideally sunlight. Under a constant photoperiod, pygmies will not make gemmae. Following November, you should decrease your timer photoperiod if you want any. I find the ideal lux rating to be about 10,000-100,000 lux (Operating room brightness to full sun).

Ensure the pots do not dry completely, although pygmies can survive long periods of dessication. The danger is in overwatering, so avoid pots fully waterlogged. Certain pygmies are more resistant to rot than others, so ask others about what species you are growing.

Rain is a danger when keeping pygmies outside, as during gemmae season, rain causes gemmae to disperse. Harvest gemmae before rain.

Temperatures can range between freezing and over 40 degrees C (105 degrees F). Above or below that can cause stress, but these are hardy plants.

Thank you for reading!
By Nepenthes0260
Nice guide! Have you ever made a gemmae vacuum? It's a super easy method to harvest gemmae, especially bulk quantities.
By hungry carnivores
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:54 pm Nice guide! Have you ever made a gemmae vacuum? It's a super easy method to harvest gemmae, especially bulk quantities.
I use a micropipette which pulls enough suction, I put 10mL tips on it.

How do you build one_
By Eventerminator
@hungry carnivores,

Do you know any places that I could find in Australia to buy them? Kind of ironic since they are native where I live.

Also I've seen videos of these Droseras living in the barren and dry soil of the outback here from where I live. So I'm guessing that they are pretty drought resistant and probably have long roots.

Here are some videos of them and other carnivorous plants that I found:
Carnivorous Plants of Perth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P66Zrsp ... HJmziWs56T
Carnivorous Plants of the WA South Coast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGucOupGRoc&t=133s
Carnivorous Plants of Avon Valley and Wongan Hills - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Y1MPb5qE4
By Adelae
Eventerminator wrote:@hungry carnivores,
Do you know any places that I could find in Australia to buy them? Kind of ironic since they are native where I live.
I haven't personally bought from them because I'm in the US, but I know Triffid Park is a big carnivorous plant supplier in Austrailia. They have pygmy sundews available at https://www.triffidpark.com.au/pygmy-drosera.
Eventerminator liked this
By hungry carnivores
Eventerminator wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:15 am @hungry carnivores,

Also I've seen videos of these Droseras living in the barren and dry soil of the outback here from where I live. So I'm guessing that they are pretty drought resistant and probably have long roots.

Here are some videos of them and other carnivorous plants that I found:
Carnivorous Plants of Perth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P66Zrsp ... HJmziWs56T
Carnivorous Plants of the WA South Coast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGucOupGRoc&t=133s
Carnivorous Plants of Avon Valley and Wongan Hills - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Y1MPb5qE4
'

Basically, the thing here is nature vs culture. In nature, species get punished. In culture, we try to provide the things a species needs while at the same time trying to make it better for them. I ensure you when gemmae fly out of a plant in Australia, a plastic bag doesn't magically appear over them to maintain humidity and acclimate them :lol: . That would be a little scary. So the germination rate of gemmae in situ is something like 10-50% which is fairly good. In culture, that's close to 100%. However, certain species are hard to culture, like Heliamphora. We have not seen beautiful plants as those on Ilu, Chimanta, Roraima, etc simply because that is too hard to approximate in culture.

I believe you have a bunch of people on Instagram I follow. PM them. Insta is a great resource for beginners and experienced growers alike since there are plenty of people from all around the world. I have seen growers in Iran, Cambodia, and Mongolia, all far-away places without major nurseries. So I advise looking at your socials to see if there are any growers near you to help you out.
Eventerminator liked this
By Eventerminator
hungry carnivores wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:19 pm
I believe you have a bunch of people on Instagram I follow. PM them. Insta is a great resource for beginners and experienced growers alike since there are plenty of people from all around the world. I have seen growers in Iran, Cambodia, and Mongolia, all far-away places without major nurseries. So I advise looking at your socials to see if there are any growers near you to help you out.
Hmm, I should probably make an Insta then. Sounds like it could be pretty helpful. I don't have social media of any kind. Every time when someone asks for a social media account and I say I don't have any. They always gave me a look of surprise and shock :lol:
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!