FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By red
My sarracinea puepera is not making any new pitchers, there are only two, a big one and a small one, which is turning golden and wilting, the big one is golden at the edges of the hood and is getting "stress marks" on it (not the hood) the rest of the pitcher, I got the plant from lowes, it looked healthy, I got it on may 24th of this year, I water it every day, (because the soil dries out quick in summer) and it feeds itself (catches its own food) I keep it outside in direct sunlight

the soil mixture is 2 thirds peat moss, 1 third sand

i just dont know what to do, i have looked up the problem and got no results, so can anyone give me an answer?

(edit: fixed spelling mistake at the title)
By dewyray
Those need really wet soil. It sounds like you don't have it on a tray system, which you should. Keep the pot sitting in a dish of water at all times. They can even take being waterlogged from time to time. If it isn't too damaged, it'll come back.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
By red
dewyray

the tray method wont work because the pot it is in

for one, the pot has drainage, and where the drainage holes are there is a "moat" that keeps excess water, so I have an idea I could pour water in the "moat" and then the water will go from the bottom up, also I happen to own a venus flytrap, one of the traps are mutated in a good way, 8 trigger hairs and instead of turning red/purple in the mouth, it is turning red on the outside of the trap which is weird because it was in the shade

illuminati confirmed
By Cross
red wrote:dewyray

the tray method wont work because the pot it is in

for one, the pot has drainage, and where the drainage holes are there is a "moat" that keeps excess water, so I have an idea I could pour water in the "moat" and then the water will go from the bottom up, also I happen to own a venus flytrap, one of the traps are mutated in a good way, 8 trigger hairs and instead of turning red/purple in the mouth, it is turning red on the outside of the trap which is weird because it was in the shade

illuminati confirmed
I really, really need to see the illuminati trap. Did you name it that? It needs to be named that lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Cross
red wrote:Cross, its not the entire plant, just one trap, sadly
Tc it. RIP it down to the base and grow it in tc. Maybe you can cultivate that mutation.

By red
Cross, what does TC mean? just separate it form the rhizome and take a root with it? could you send me a tutorial on how to separate the trap? and possibly cultivate it?

ill name it the illuminati trap or the red alian, or AUDREY II

XD
By Cross
red wrote:Cross, what does TC mean? just separate it form the rhizome and take a root with it? could you send me a tutorial on how to separate the trap? and possibly cultivate it?

ill name it the illuminati trap or the red alian, or AUDREY II

XD
Tc is tissue culture. It's using murashige and skoog and putting it in a sterile environment to grow. I wish I could send some ms in a jar to you.

https://www.flytrapcare.com/tissue-culture-basics

By red
Cross

so basically I just separate the trap from the rhizome and take a root or two with it and them put it in a pot and treat like a reqular venus flytrap?
By Cross
red wrote:Cross

so basically I just separate the trap from the rhizome and take a root or two with it and them put it in a pot and treat like a reqular venus flytrap?
No, when you're propogating, it's a bit different, read this instead on water propagation

https://www.shutyourtrap.com.au/blog/water-propagation/

By red
is there a quicker way? im impatient also 1-2 months? school would probably start for me

is there a quicker way? with a high success rate?

what about leaf pulling?
By Cross
red wrote:is there a quicker way? im impatient also 1-2 months? school would probably start for me

is there a quicker way? with a high success rate?

what about leaf pulling?
It's the same thing. Whether you pull a leaf and plant it, which you font need the roots, or you water propagate, it's the same thing. Tc would be faster.

By Cross
red wrote:Cross what do you mean by font?
Don't, I'm sorry Image I didn't proof read lol.

By red
so to confirm, leaf pullings often have a high success rate? how doe sthe plant photosynthesize without roots?

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!