FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Question man
Once I left for college, I simply didn't have enough packing space to support taking my collection of CPs with me. However, now that I've been here for half a year, I've come to the conclusion that my window gets ample direct sun all day, and my dorm stays a comfortable slightly warmer room temperature, and therefor i've decided to order some more plants here for my dorm. But my one stumbling block in all of this is that the city water that comes out of all the tabs and faucets on campus is filled with minerals and other additives (as indicated by the funny taste). If need be i'll resort to buying beta water for them, however if there is any less expensive alternative or method of making water pure enough for vfts, what are they?
By Bhart90
During winter i collect snow. 0-1 tds.

Packing a 5gal bucket gives me about 2.8 gallons of water
Bhart90, Bhart90 liked this
By xr280xr
You can collect snow/rain water or try to find a reverse osmosis or distilled water source on campus. Science labs will have it but probably won't give it away since the filters are expensive. Probably easiest just to buy it. If you can find a store that sells it from a machine then you can fill a 5 gallon jug or two. You can also partially cover your plants with a cup/bag/dome to slow down evaporation and make your water last you longer. You just don't want to do it so much that the plants can't breath and develop fungal problems.
xr280xr liked this
By evenwind
ZeroWater brand water filters work well and might work out cheaper and/or more convenient than your other choices.
http://www.zerowater.com/
evenwind, evenwind liked this
By riveraXVX
I usually bring gallon jugs to fill up with us if we are stopping over at whole foods think its like 39 cents a gallon to fill up wish I still had all my old big 5 gallon ones but alas the 10 or so we have sitting around work! just gotta remember to bring the empties if we are heading that way
By xr280xr
riveraXVX wrote:just gotta remember to bring the empties if we are heading that way
That's the hard part! :oops:
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!