FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Hayden
Ive been thinking of growing my own lfsm for a long time, and today after reading that in the past half decade 95% of Europes bogs have been torn up it made me feel like I could help in some way. For someone like me that enjoys a bit of overwatering from time to time, sphagnum seems brilliant for me! I just have a few questions.

1. Should it be compressed when potting

2. Is it easy to repot

3. Will it grow quick enough to house about 3 new plants a month?

4. Is it better in general? Why isnt everybody using lfsm?

5. Other than pings, will it work with any cp?

Thanks guys, im certainly interested in going peat free. Super sphag sounds good too, it would be cooler to my own potting mix and be 100% environmental friendly!
By HarrisAz
im not an expert.i have a few basin of Live sphagnum but im still not using it for my cp bcoz most cp needs full sun and that might kill the moss.im only selling some of them in small amount.

ok about number 2,let me be honest.when u use live sphagnum,its the same as u use Dried sphagnum moss only that LSM is live ones.its very hard to repot for me.the long sphagnum moss get stuck with the roots.and they look alike too.i broke 3-3strads of vft roots bcoz of i tot its tangling sphagnum.thats for a noob repotter like me.

LSM will work best with Heliamphora.they are water lovers and they hate hot sun.thats all.w8 till more advance expert to answer.

Thanks,
Harris
HarrisAz liked this
By Hayden
Thanks for the reply harris, from what youve said I think im now more interested in supersphag. If just one of us manages to find a perfect alternative, we can all use it and help save the bogs. Its a brilliant logo for shops too, to say theyre helping save our peat bogs.
By HarrisAz
your right!
By moof
Hayden wrote:Ive been thinking of growing my own lfsm for a long time, and today after reading that in the past half decade 95% of Europes bogs have been torn up it made me feel like I could help in some way. For someone like me that enjoys a bit of overwatering from time to time, sphagnum seems brilliant for me! I just have a few questions.

1. Should it be compressed when potting

2. Is it easy to repot

3. Will it grow quick enough to house about 3 new plants a month?

4. Is it better in general? Why isnt everybody using lfsm?

5. Other than pings, will it work with any cp?

Thanks guys, im certainly interested in going peat free. Super sphag sounds good too, it would be cooler to my own potting mix and be 100% environmental friendly!
1) Yes, but just a bit...

2) Very easy to repot plants kept in LFS

3) If you have a large ammount of LFS, the it's possible.

4) Not that easy to get, I find it better than peat for some plants and a bit worse for others... I keep epiphytes in LFS only, and some sundews too

5) I've seen almost every type of CP being kept in LFS, with various rate of success... I wouldn't keep pings in it
moof liked this
By jamez
Don't worry your peat is fine. LFS tends to rot out flytraps for me.

1) To some extent, since it will make plenty of air pockets

2) Its easy but harder than peat will be. The plants get root bound, and sometimes, then it gets really hard to repot, and you end up ripping roots off.

3) Oh! I see whats on your mind! It will not enlarge. When it turns completely live it will slowly grow. But it doesn't work how you think. Its not going to grow into some more to increase your stock. Over time it will but that might take a few years. I hope you understand its not going to grow how you think. It has spores on it and they grow, it will not come back to life.

4) Maybe they don't like it, maybe they think its too ugly, they like peats texture or they can't find it. That's a question that can't properly be answered.

5) Yes or no. Doesn't work with my Dionaea. But its nice with everything else.
jamez liked this
By Hayden
Thanks guys, been researching and found a peat free cp compost, recommended on the UK cp society! Hopefully I can do my bit for the bogs by using it!

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!