FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
Drosera leaves are the easy way to propagate more plants. Pulled a few
D. Ivans Paddle to insure that I will always have plants to grow in my collection, sell, and of course giveaway. :D
So give it a try for yourself. Seeds are cool for getting new species into your collection, but take forever. :lol:
Attachments:
IMG_20180903_150630.jpg
IMG_20180903_150630.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 3448 times
IMG_20180903_150717.jpg
IMG_20180903_150717.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 3448 times
IMG_20180903_150810.jpg
IMG_20180903_150810.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 3448 times
By hollyhock
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:Nice. Have you tried leaf pullings with D. Binata?
Yes and you will get many from a single leaf. Look at this next picture. A friend of mine had a leaf that drooped into the water tray. And yes many are now multiplying.
Attachments:
received_243591609674873.jpeg
received_243591609674873.jpeg (344.71 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
By Nightbreed
Those are amazing. I haven't had much luck with any drosera. Always seem to kill them :(
By hollyhock
Nightbreed wrote:Those are amazing. I haven't had much luck with any drosera. Always seem to kill them :(
Thank you. But don't ever give up. Order some seeds from the bank and try again, and again and I promise you will be successful :D
By Jeeper
I made a list of questions, this will not only help me, bit others that want to ensure future plant success.
1. Do you pull leaves like a vft, downward with a bit of white? Or, do you simply clip them?

2. New leaves or older leaves?

3. Your post shows you using lfsm, do you get better success with that or floating in water?

I know many of the answers are 'based on user experience' but figured the more info the better! And us newbies like to know what works for the vets on this forum...
Last edited by Jeeper on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Nightbreed
Yeah I'm not giving up yet. Just received some capensis mix and filifomis "Portland sunrise" seeds. Also won a adelae on teraforums. I'm just worried about it because it hasn't gotten it's dew back yet and it's turning yellow.
By hollyhock
Jeeper wrote:I made a list of questions, this will not only help me, bit others that want to ensure future plant success.
1. Do you pull leaves like a vft, downward with a bit of white? Or, do you simply clip them?

2. New leaves or older leaves?

3. Your post shows you using lfsm, do you get better success with that or floating in water?

I know many of the answers are 'based on user experience' but figured the more info the better! And us newbies like to know what works for the vets on this forum...

Well for leaf pulling from Drosera you are right there's many different ways to do it.
I usually use tweezers and yank the whole thing as much as I can. I float them in a cup of distilled water or a test tube. I try to put them under some lighting. I have also seen a grower put the pulls on wet paper towels. The leaves with dew usually work best for me. And I don't transplant them until I see decent growth. You said LFSM but I really like peat/ sand or crushed perlite because I can see the green better against the dark peat color. Hope some of this helps with your pulling attempts :D
By hollyhock
Nightbreed wrote:Yeah I'm not giving up yet. Just received some capensis mix and filifomis "Portland sunrise" seeds. Also won a adelae on teraforums. I'm just worried about it because it hasn't gotten it's dew back yet and it's turning yellow.
D.adelae doesn't like to travel or be disturbed at all. I turned the pot around and it sulked. But the good news is it's usually a tank of a plant and will bounce back. Here is an interesting fact about d.adelae. any roots that are exposed to light will grow a new plant. I have several pots that need my attention as far as transplanting . I saw a bunch of roots coming out of the bottom of the pot and tons of little plantlets in the water tray
By bananaman
Most sundews don’t need to be pullings. Only pygmies and woolly sundews need to be pullings.

Just take some clippers and cut off the leaf. Float it in some water under lights, and it’ll grow new plants in a month or two. If it’s too big to fit in the container, you can just cut the leaves into segments.
bananaman liked this
By riveraXVX
love it me and the kiddo have been doing a lot more with cuttings and leaf pulls while waiting for all our seeds/seedlings to grow up we have random cuttings and leafpulls and strikes in like every container these days!!
riveraXVX liked this
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!