FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sekler
Hello all !

I potted a few days ago my plants in pots from the brand Integrated plastics.

They are self watering and so far it seems to be amazing.
There are no wicks or anything like that, just a hole at the bottom of the pot which brings air in to decrease the chance of root rot.

It's 6 inches wide and about 6 inches high. There is a piece of plastic (basically the hidden bottom of the pot) over the water reservoir and the holes are fairly small. There is than a very much slowed down absorption as opposed to have a pot which stands in a saucer of water, which kinds of pushes the water up and soaks the media like crazy. It makes that the water will evaporate more gradually and moistens the media.

Since the CP likes it moist most of the time, I found that the media was not mushy at all, it seems to have the perfect moist level.

The VFT mix that I used was Perlite (about 30%), horticultural sand (20%) and peat at about 50%. For the cephalotus, I used more of an airy mix with more sand and perlite.

So far, both seem to work extremely well for that pot depth.

Great 3$ investment per pot if you can grab one of those :)

Have a good one guys
By masmith
got any pics?
The way I'm understanding you is the water gets into the media by evaporating then condensing onto the media? Sounds cool.
By sekler
Hehe sorry guys, I forgot to upload pictures, my batteries were dead as I wanted to do so. I'll upload them very shortly as I'm almost home !

It can be bought here at the local retail store in Canada, I'll try to find it on another website for you guys !
I'm pretty sure that the design was used by other companies, so you may find it around.

Pictures incoming...
By sekler
Here you go guys,
DSC00128.JPG
DSC00128.JPG (57.27 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
DSC00129.JPG
DSC00129.JPG (71.86 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
DSC00130.JPG
DSC00130.JPG (28.22 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
DSC00131.JPG
DSC00131.JPG (34.82 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
As you can see there is a hole on the side of the pot (3/4 of an inch high from the bottom) which hides basically the integrated saucer, and the plate with the holes where the water evaporates directly onto the media. The hole on the side also allows for air circulation. If it ever rains, any excess will squirt out of the side hole, so you can see that the water level can't be too high. The recess that you see in the middle is very small and doesn't seem to come in contact with the water, it actually just seems to support the plate/weight of the plant.
I'm sure that someone could do their own modification of an existing pot for this, however they cost less than 3$ canadian here so I got a few :D hehe

There are also 10 and 12 inches pots I believe. So far it seems to be working well, the media stays just perfectly moist and the water levels goes down fairly slowly. I believe that this can also help to avoid having mineral accumulation :)

It seems to be hard to find them online (those exact ones), I even saw that the company went bankrupt. If I find a website I will let you know, I just wanted to share this cheap gadget with you ! I'm curious to fully test out these guys next summer !
By Oblivion
the centre well will contain wet media as water soaks in from underneath, then the moisture will distribute/absorb out from there.

its like most self watering pots with a wick but it looks like someone removed the wick from the hole, as other styles of self water pot generally sit a very small section of the media into the water as it helps train your plants root system to go for the deepest, moist part of the soil. (the well)

all the holes are for water drainage only, you wont get evaporation through them but the well in the centre will do some of the work for you.

since your missing the wick i'd poke a few holes in the side of the "well" at various heights, and let the lowest portion of media soak in the water and draw it up for the rest of the soil. this is how my self watering pots work and it does a great job but you will still need to top water to keep the exposed top layer moist.

the well will be damp, but above the well will just be moist soil as you'd expect.
By sekler
Thanks Oblivion for the reply.

Damn, so that would mean that the pots that I have got a construction flaw ?
All of them were like that at the store...
You know what, I'll try to fill up the empty one I have to see exactly how it turns out. Otherwise, I'll drill the holes
By Oblivion
its not a flaw, its just a different design and doesnt make it a bad pot to use.

i'd still use it anyway, it is a nice looking pot and you'll find its better than the regular ones with seperate water tray as the water evaporates off them pretty quick, which to me is a waste of rain/distilled water.

im a huge fan of the self watering pots because i dont have a Rainwater tank and they make far better use of the water you do use.
By Oblivion
ive got a lot of spare pots here with the wick, if you want to cover postage costs i'll mail you over a few.

probably about $5aud, pm me if your interested
By sekler
Awesome dude !

I'll let you know for sure, I wonder how much the postage would cost (it is light and cheap, but often the size sometimes can make the price drastically go up !) thanks for the offer !
I actually tried to fill up the empty pot I had with water and the well actually fills up, but I guess that the amount gets sucked up pretty quickly
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!