FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Azakella159
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight about the color of the pot that should be used for VFTs.
Are black plastic pots okay? Im struggling with finding a deep pot that isnt too wide in diameter. I understand that the pot should be at least 5 inches deep, and the ones i find like that are usually black in color.
I know white helps in preventing them from overheating but was wondering if black is still acceptable.
Any help would be appreciated
By Artchic528
Black pots tend to heat up a lot quicker than white ones. More heat being absorbed into the pot means it'll dry out quicker and make for a more unhappy plant.

I have my adult plants in a pink planter outside (it was an old wash tub I converted to grow venus flytraps). Maybe look for containers like I did that fit the requirements that aren't specifically pots. Even large foam or plastic drinking cups from restaurants can work as small pots.
Artchic528 liked this
By evenwind
A lot of people use white styrofoam cups with a hole or two punched in the bottom. You can get them at "dollar stores" or "party stores" and the like. The downside is that they are almost weightless and somewhat brittle. If you want something stronger and generally much better, TheFlytrapStore has nice deep white pots for sale: http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/growing-media-and-pots
evenwind liked this

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!