FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Newbee
I have fertilized my flytrap once with orchid fertilizer put on the leafs.How often do should a venus flytrap be fertilized?
By David F
Just dont' its not worth it TRUST ME, just feed it the dang-bug please don't fertilize, it just makes life harder!
David F, David F liked this
By Matt
There are a few very experienced growers that lightly foliar (apply to the leaves) fertilize, but for beginners, it's best to do it the old fashioned way (feed them bugs), as David recommends.
Matt liked this
By Matt
Newbee wrote:But how often do even experienced growers fertilize the leafs?
Once every two to four weeks seems to be the norm. Only enough should be sprayed on the leaves to get them damp. Anything that runs into the soil will cause an algae bloom and potentially cause root rot.
By David F
Plus, its just not worth it when you can just feed them. I don't even want to discuss my experiences with it...
By Newbee
Ok thanks.Why i just fertilized the very first time was because i had read that to jump start a new plant that doesnt have already mature traps on it,that you could fertilize with orchid fertilizer and to dilute it in a mix of a gallon of water and then apply it using a qtip and dipping it in the made up fertilizer,but not getting the qtip dripping wet just damp and applying it to two or three leafs on the underside of them.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!