FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sioneee
Hi all!

So my plants just arrived today. I've got a "Bristle Tooth" (Dionaea muscipula) and a VFT "Big Mouth" (don't know the scientific name). They're a present for my girlfriend. She's been wanting to get into it all for awhile but has never got around to it. I've had a bit of a browse on the boards but couldn't really find an answer to my question, probably because I'm a noob and wasn't looking hard enough.

I live in Western Australia. It's pretty hot. As far as I know that's a good thing for these plants. We are however going into our winter and so I assume the plants are going dormant? Basically, I just wanted to know what I should be doing to keep these badboys happy in our climate over this time? Should I be leaving them out in the sun? Should I repot them? Should I be watering them a lot? So many questions. It'd be ideal if they didn't die before her birthday in two weeks.

I've attached a pic. And I must admit, the thought of keeping them for myself did cross my mind, but what kind of a boyfriend would that make me? :)

This is my first post so hello again and thanks in advance!
Sione
By sioneee
Didn't attach a pic though did I? Here we go!
Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (152.67 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
By jamez
If your temps are around 20-50 degrees in the winter and your summer is no hotter than 100 degrees then they can be outside all year round. Yes give them direct sunlight (6+ hours). By looking at them now, the 'Big mouth' should be put in another pot and the "Bristletooth" looks as if it's too big for that pot. So yes you can repot them. The "Bristletooth" looks like it's 2 plants and the 'Big Mouth' looks like 4 or 5. Keep the soil moist not wet. If I were you, I'd give her the 'Big Mouth'.
By Matt
Hello and welcome Sione!
sioneee wrote:We are however going into our winter and so I assume the plants are going dormant?
Yep, and looking at the photos of the plants, they're well on their way into their winter sleep. They've already lost quite a few leaves and are growing closer to the ground now in preparation for winter dormancy.
sioneee wrote:Basically, I just wanted to know what I should be doing to keep these badboys happy in our climate over this time? Should I be leaving them out in the sun? Should I repot them? Should I be watering them a lot?
Yes, continue to give them as much sun as possible. Cut back on the watering a bit so that they soil stays damp, but not too wet. I wouldn't repot them right now. Wait for spring to do that.
sioneee wrote:I've attached a pic. And I must admit, the thought of keeping them for myself did cross my mind, but what kind of a boyfriend would that make me? :)
Hah, well, you could still be a good boyfriend and get her something else ;) I too would have a hard time parting with those two very nice looking flytraps.
Matt liked this
By victor
Yeah your plants are preparing for dormancy. I think you could just leave it outside all year round
9but a very sunny area)
By schwinn
Heyas Sione! A hi from Adelaide! Who or where did you order your traps from, and did they arrive in a pot like that? Mine came in clumps in the mail, and don't look anywhere as healthy as those!
By sioneee
Hey Schwinn - I got the plants from an eBay store. I heard that online stores are unreliable but I didn't really have any other option buying from Perth. They were sent over in the pots. When I was looking online I read on another store's page that they sent there plants in moss so I assume that's what you got. I can PM you the details of the seller I used if you like :)

The plants are pretty dormant now I think though so not as healthy looking as in the earlier pic. In fact, I'm going to post another pic to make sure I'm doing it right. I've read all the posts about traps entering dormancy but man, they just look so dead. Haha! :/ Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread like this. Any advice is totally appreciated. :)
Attachments:
photo2.JPG
photo2.JPG (41.61 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
By linton
Hi sioneee & welcome to Flytrapcare. Your plants will do well outdoors year round in WA.

From your latest photos they look a bit on the dry side, the soil should never separate from the side of the pot - this is a dead giveaway that the soil is drying out. Try sitting your (girlfriends) plants in a shallow saucer of water and only replenish the water once it has dried out.
By Grey
Hello! Just wanted to say hi and welcome! Although it's a bit late hehe.

I've seen many people with plants that appear similar. My own dormancy experience last year showed many leaves and traps die, although my plants did not die on such a scale so I cannot say whether your plants are simply dormant or if there is another problem.

If you've been giving them sun, keeping their soil damp and watering with pure water I would assume everything is okay. I'll see what other people advise, and hopefully expand my own knowledge on dormant plants, too. Good luck!
By Matt
Hi sioneee - it looks to me that your flytraps have dried out completely and could potentially be dead from dehydration. If they were my plants, I'd do like Linton recommends and put them in a shallow saucer of water. I'd also try to water them from the top to rehydrate them, if possible (if they're not already dead).
By jamez
Yikes! they went from pretty to ugly :\

Lots pf new flytrap growers use more water and then some use to little water. Don't freak out and over water it. Keep it more moist than you've had it and they may pop back. Check the rhizome for any whiteness. Thats signb of life, but it may still die on you.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!