FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By dantt99
I think the next plant I need to add to my collection is a Heliamphora. I'll take any species, preferably an easy grower :)
I would like to buy, not trade, let me know what you have and what you want for it :D!
Thanks!
By Steve_D
Daniel, in my own limited experience, Heliamphora minor is easier to grow (hardier in a variety of conditions) than Heliamphora nutans. That's about the only comment I can give from personal experience so far, although I've grown Heli's for only about a year. I do like the Heli minors though, and the related Heliamphora pulchella (which used to be considered a more hairy variation of Heli minor). The pulchellas can become deep red, but so can a few of the minors.

Good luck! :)
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By HarrisAz
Steve,i wonder how do you grow yours in your hot climate there?

i will like to know that because i live in a hot place too! and your heli looks cool!
By Steve_D
HarrisAz wrote:Steve,i wonder how do you grow yours in your hot climate there?
My climate is not only hot but dry. Heliamphora are supposed to like cool and humid to downright constantly damp. However, I have been trying to grow them without taking any extra or exceptional precautions.

What I've found out so far is that Heliamphora can adapt to hotter, drier conditions but will grow slowly and not as large or luxuriant. They won't die however unless they are kept too wet for too long, in which case they can be susceptible to rot. They seem to tolerate being grown in medium that is drier most of the time than one would normally keep Venus Flytrap growing medium. Heliamphora seem to die more quickly if kept too wet rather than too dry, is what I'm saying, just from my own experience.

So far, they slow their growth during very hot weather, but it does not kill them. They grow more conservatively and smaller when the humidity stays very low most of the time, but that does not kill them. :)
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By HarrisAz
Thanks man!!
no wonder a few offshoots of mine died since i've been submersed them in water for a few days-week.

Anyways,you put them under the direct sun?
By ReefPlant
Hello! I have been growing Heliamphora indoors sine early 2009 and have had quite good success because my day temps never get over 75 degrees wit constant air movement and misting. Night temps should always drop a solid 10 degrees depending on the species and where it was last grown. I have found that a lot of them that i have received from outdoor setups actually take about 2 months to settle into the tank if the shipping was rough on them.

If you want, i have a couple divisions of H. minor i could probably get one together for you in the near future. I would also be glad to help you grow them. They are tough but you just have to cover a couple bases. I'm no pitcher plant guru but my Helis seem happy so i could at least tell you what i do for my group.
Thanks Dantt99! Let me know!
ReefPlant, ReefPlant liked this
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:They won't die however unless they are kept too wet for too long, in which case they can be susceptible to rot. They seem to tolerate being grown in medium that is drier most of the time than one would normally keep Venus Flytrap growing medium. Heliamphora seem to die more quickly if kept too wet rather than too dry, is what I'm saying, just from my own experience.
My experience with Heliamphora is similar to Steve's. I have perhaps a hundred of them now out of tissue culture. The only ones I've lost have died because I kept them too wet and had them in media that held water for too long and was too dense (my normal flytrap media).

Lately I've been keeping them very, very dry. Much dryer than I let my flytraps get. They seem to be enjoying it. Their pitchers are thick and brittle and kind of remind me of succulent plants like the Aloe vera. They seem very resistant to drought.

Yesterday I repotted a large portion of the Heliamphora out of tissue culture. I have several dozen very nice looking H. minor and H. nutans that will be ready for sale in a month or so. Some of the H. nutans are quite large and many of the H. minor are already putting out adult pitchers.

One thing of interest that I noted while repotting them was that their roots grew often along the side of the pot, between the pot and the soil. I think that was due to the fact that the soil would stay too wet and that little cavity between the side of the pot and the soil would dry out much more quickly so that the roots wouldn't rot. I repotted them all into an "airier" mix with orchid bard, lots of perlite and lots of sand and relatively little peat moss. I think (and hope) that they'll like that mix better, though many of them seemed fairly happy in the standard flytrap potting mix.
Matt, Matt liked this
By dantt99
ReefPlant wrote:If you want, i have a couple divisions of H. minor i could probably get one together for you in the near future. I would also be glad to help you grow them. They are tough but you just have to cover a couple bases. I'm no pitcher plant guru but my Helis seem happy so i could at least tell you what i do for my group.
Thanks Dantt99! Let me know!
I'd love to, tell me when one of the divisions is ready and PM me and we can try and work something out :D
By HarrisAz
but i wonder why they survive at their home where it is constanly wet and sometimes submersed in water plus cool temperature and high humidity..

Thanks for this tip guys!
By Matt
HarrisAz wrote:but i wonder why they survive at their home where it is constanly wet and sometimes submersed in water plus cool temperature and high humidity..
I've wondered the same thing. I've seen lots of photos of them sitting in water. But I've never actually been to any of the Tepuis nor seen anyone chronicle a year's worth of weather on a tepui. My guess is that perhaps even though it rains a lot there, there can be periods of dry spells. Given that the tepuis are mostly rock, any rain that falls quickly runs off. When a few days go by without any rain or very little rain, my guess is that things get quite dry. I don't know how often this happens, but I don't think that these plants are standing in water all the time in their native habitat like so many of the photos we've seen of them.

Or perhaps something else is at play. Perhaps there is some sort of bacteria in the peat moss that's deadly to Heliamphora that doesn't exist in their environment. And if the peat moss is kept too wet, the bacteria overtakes the Heliamphora roots.

I can't really give a definitive answer. All I can say for sure is that in cultivation (in my experience), Heliamphora don't like to have their roots soaking in water and they like to have airier soil mixes. Given an airy soil mix and kept relatively dry, they can withstand quite low humidity levels (at least some species can) and quite warm temperatures.
Matt, Matt liked this
By HarrisAz
The bacteria one sounds logic,
if you see in Vid at Utube of recorded helis at the top of the mountain,the water runs all the time on their rootstocks and it doesnt sit there standing,and the water keeps on changing with new fresh water.

And yes at Tepui,its mostly rock and maybe if it doesnt rain for the whole week or so,it turns out fairly damp-dry i guess..

but im still impressive that some helis can grow well in a warmer,drier environment.

Thanks again to tell me!
Harris
By bombsboy
Steve_D wrote:
HarrisAz wrote:Steve,i wonder how do you grow yours in your hot climate there?
My climate is not only hot but dry. Heliamphora are supposed to like cool and humid to downright constantly damp. However, I have been trying to grow them without taking any extra or exceptional precautions.

What I've found out so far is that Heliamphora can adapt to hotter, drier conditions but will grow slowly and not as large or luxuriant. They won't die however unless they are kept too wet for too long, in which case they can be susceptible to rot. They seem to tolerate being grown in medium that is drier most of the time than one would normally keep Venus Flytrap growing medium. Heliamphora seem to die more quickly if kept too wet rather than too dry, is what I'm saying, just from my own experience.

So far, they slow their growth during very hot weather, but it does not kill them. They grow more conservatively and smaller when the humidity stays very low most of the time, but that does not kill them. :)
So wait... Do you grow them outside or in a terrarium? I am having humidity and tempurature troubles if I even try to grow plants outside of my greenhouse! Im in so-cal so its really dry and hot here! Do you grow any plants outside?
Thanks
By bombsboy
HarrisAz wrote:The bacteria one sounds logic,
if you see in Vid at Utube of recorded helis at the top of the mountain,the water runs all the time on their rootstocks and it doesnt sit there standing,and the water keeps on changing with new fresh water.

And yes at Tepui,its mostly rock and maybe if it doesnt rain for the whole week or so,it turns out fairly damp-dry i guess..

but im still impressive that some helis can grow well in a warmer,drier environment.

Thanks again to tell me!
Harris
I think that clip is from a TV show, the private life of plants by UK narratology David Attenborough, which a nepenthes was named after him! He has done a lot of narrating for carnivorous plant shows.
By Steve_D
HarrisAz wrote:ut i wonder why they survive at their home where it is constanly wet and sometimes submersed in water
My guess is that it's because the rainwater is extremely pure and pathogen-free: no bacteria nor fungi. And any fungi or bacteria that may start to colonize around the roots of the Heliamphora are very soon washed away again by clean and virtually sterile water.

But the water in our growing mediums is far from sterile. It sits and becomes somewhat stagnant over time. If there is too much, an anaerobic condition can encourage very destructive bacteria that simply may not exist in any damaging quantity in the Heliamphora's native environment.

Those are just guesses and thoughts about that very good question. :)
Steve_D liked this

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!