FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By papatoad
Good news. I repotted all my Vft's and the B52's are showing signs of recovery. The new leaves are starting to grow up out of the rosette. They have been stationary since they arrived. Whew, that's a load off of my mind. Thanks to everybody who gave me support through my ordeal.
Glen
:D
papatoad liked this
By victor
Congrats! My smallest has started to produce lots of upright growth above the rosetts but my largest VFT
hasn't grown much new leaves up out of the rosette.
By 95slvrZ28
Congrats! Enjoy the growth (I wish my plants were all growing nicely, but our weather has been weird...)
By papatoad
The weather has been odd as of late. 74 degrees now with tonights low of 23. I'm still sneaking them out for a little natural sun here and there. Also, so confident am I of this forum and my abilities. I ordered two Red Pirahna's off of the Fly trap store today. Wow, what a lot of choices. Most were sold out and I want instant gratification. :P We'll see how I do with my new aquisitions and go from there.
Glen
By 95slvrZ28
Best of luck with your new plants! The red clones don't seem to grow as fast, or as large, but they certainly are beautiful!
By Matt
95slvrZ28 wrote:Best of luck with your new plants! The red clones don't seem to grow as fast, or as large, but they certainly are beautiful!
Agreed...with the exception of FTS Maroon Monster. It rivals even the most vigorous green plants, including B52, in terms of rapid growth. Having a soft spot for the red clones, it's quickly becoming my favorite "non-freaky" clone :)
By papatoad
In regards to size. What is the biggest fly trap out there? Does the Maroon Monster equal the B52? Or is there another monster lurking out there? And, how soon till the hobbyists get to Little Shop of Horrors size? The last time I researched Vft's was in the late 90's.
Glen
By 95slvrZ28
Matt wrote:
95slvrZ28 wrote:Best of luck with your new plants! The red clones don't seem to grow as fast, or as large, but they certainly are beautiful!
Agreed...with the exception of FTS Maroon Monster. It rivals even the most vigorous green plants, including B52, in terms of rapid growth. Having a soft spot for the red clones, it's quickly becoming my favorite "non-freaky" clone :)
Not to hijack a thread or anything, but do you have any estimate on when this guy might hit the store for the masses, and not just ebay? I like you and Steve, but I don't have the money to pay $100 for a plant.. :oops:
95slvrZ28 liked this
By Matt
papatoad wrote:In regards to size. What is the biggest fly trap out there? Does the Maroon Monster equal the B52? Or is there another monster lurking out there? And, how soon till the hobbyists get to Little Shop of Horrors size?
B52 reportedly has the largest traps. However, Big Vigorous, Low Giant. Jaws and quite a few seedlings I'm growing regularly get traps as large or larger than B52 (at least for me).

I don't actually have a full-grown Maroon Monster to compare with. It's only been in existence since early 2010. But it gets the largest traps of any red clone that I grow, hands down. And it does so extremely quickly. Even young Maroon Monsters grow large traps with regular feeding and good lighting the quickest of any clone I've ever seen; even more quickly than B52.
95slvrZ28 wrote:Not to hijack a thread or anything, but do you have any estimate on when this guy might hit the store for the masses, and not just ebay? I like you and Steve, but I don't have the money to pay $100 for a plant.. :oops:
I'd guess by mid to late summer we'll have some to sell on the new FlytrapStore Exclusive site. Steve has been developing that new site a bit recently. The idea is to allow forum members and repeat customers to have access to a "special" VIP style site where there will be different products available that aren't available in the regular store. It will be password protected and users will have to "sign up" in order to receive the password to access the site. However, FTS Maroon Monster will be priced moderately higher (at least for a while) than the rest of the clones we sell. And initially we'll probably put a limit of 1 FTS Maroon Monster per person so that as many people possible can get their hands on one instead of one person buying them all.
By dantt99
Matt wrote:The idea is to allow forum members and repeat customers to have access to a "special" VIP style site where there will be different products available that aren't available in the regular store. It will be password protected and users will have to "sign up" in order to receive the password to access the site.
So how do we gain access. Is it something where you pay a yearly membership (that's not a bad idea ;)) or is it something where you gain membership to it, or just if you've ordered multiple times or are a forum member? Because the flaw with that is that someone can just join the forum to gain access to this VIP store.... :(
Sounds interesting, can you answer any of my questions though....?
By frog
The Exclusive site sounds really neat. I think the idea about about a limit on the Maroon Monster should stand for all the clones I'm sure at least a few of them are worth buying them all until out of stock to sell. When the
FTS opened this year I had no money but thought about going into debt and buy all the B52's, Sawtooth's and Long Red Fingers. I was sad to see how long it took for the Long Red Fingers to sell out. I thought it would not be a very nice thing to do and stopped myself but I think others must have at least thought the same thing.
I can't be sure but if I had to guess Steve and Matt would not want someone buying all of anything just in hopes
of selling them off as other forum members go without.This may be the only flaw I see in the FTS
By Matt
dantt99 wrote:So how do we gain access. Is it something where you pay a yearly membership (that's not a bad idea ;)) or is it something where you gain membership to it, or just if you've ordered multiple times or are a forum member? Because the flaw with that is that someone can just join the forum to gain access to this VIP store.... :(
Sounds interesting, can you answer any of my questions though....?
We haven't worked out all of the details yet. It may be based on the number of purchases from the store and/or how active the person is on the forum. We'll have to discuss the selection criteria more.
Matt liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!