FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By GardenNub
Hey so the ping I received from you was looking great, and i thought maybe there was some transplant shock, but it just kept getting worse. I think I may have been watering it too much though as my other ping started having the same problem, but no pests. Let me know what you think...I stopped watering them as much, hopefully its not too late!? :o

and here is my other ping

By dantt99
I think it looks okay, there's still lots of growth growing out of the growing point... Give it more time, and for now just clip the dead growth. :)
By David F
Pings don't like very much water, some mexican species like being completely drie for periods of time.
By Daniel_G
Too much water can quickly degrade Pinguicula leaves, and they don't mind bieng a bit on the dry side either, i would keep the a little drier than a FlyTrap :)
By GardenNub
Even after adjusting the amount of water I gave them they both died :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe im not meant to grow pings
By Daniel_G
Wow! I'm sorry :(

I'm sure if you try again, you'll have learnt from your mistake, and should be able to grow them better :)

Commiserations.
By jht-union
GardenNub, i'm so sorry, i just looked at this post as it appears in the 'View unread posts" section, i'm really sorry for not seeing this, you should have send me a PM or a message via our profile section.

I am as well not so good with pinguiculas, the pinguicula that you send to me, it looks like yours, and it looks like is dying, but the other 4 pinguiculas moctezumaes are doing excellent, somehow i have not manage to get pinguicula plimuliflora grow well, but i still have hopes that it will come back from the death, and it will grow as the best P. plimuliflora ever.

I have found out that P. Plimuliflora likes really wet conditions, and have been said to be found living even under water, which i found shocking by this post, and what happened with my plimuliflora, they require extremely high humidity during the growing season, and temps should be around 80F, but likes or appreciates as well full sun.
I think our problem was humidity, and sitting water for your plant, and growing it in the tray method indoors, justh a thought.

How i'm keeping mines right now:
below the silica, i put LFSM somewhere in the middle to the top part with silica, mix with little peat, and the silica on top, but at the same time, LFSM sorrounding the plimuliflora giving the right amount of humidity. Light i'm giving them filter sun 2-3 hours, and as well as natural daylight all day.
It has not grown or move, but my hopes are still strong, and for sure i will have the plimuliflora as a healthy plant. I also change the media a bit and added more peat, and remove the silica a bit( i did not bother the moctezumaes, i took all the media but not where the moctezumaes are growing).

Moctezumaes are gorwing really well for me, and they look like they don't like sitting media, which i see completely different in your media, yours looks like more peat, and very little silica, i can as well see the pot is small maybe a 4inch? :? , in my opinion that's a no for keeping plants indoors, not outdoors because the media indoors keeps the water because there's not sunlight to evaporate the water fast, and i see you use a tray method, which doesn't looks like a good thing to do for a plant that is growing indoors, perhaps the tray method for small pots with plants that are growing outdoors is fine, and then leaving small pots outside without tray method can lead to the death of the plant because the water evaporates faster, and if there's no circulating air, then is worse.
but don't give up, i'm getting a P. Florian maybe tomorrow, and i hope to have a good experience with it, if i don't, i will try once more, and once more until i get tired of trying! :)
Good luck, and next time let me know fast my friend :)
By frog
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you lost such precious plants.
By GardenNub
Thx guys. Oh and just an FYI so you dont think I'm killing the plants on purpose lol... I am not using the tray method for the pings, any trays are just to keep the surface they are on from getting wet. Also there is a decent amount of silica but I dont think its coarse enough. Its medium grade coarseness.

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!