FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By daslasher
I can only give half a day of sunlight to my venus flytrap and sundews because my window faces northwest and so i read about lighting and that people use fluorescent lights and i was wondering what kind of fluorescent lights are good for Venus fly traps and sundews I bought two 8 watts fluorescent lights(120V-70w)(4200K) that are 13 inches long so i was wondering if i got the right fluorescent lights or not, I kept hearing that T8 are good for them but i dont know what that is so yea, help?
By chriscanivorous
I dont think 8w will be anywhere near enough wattage, maybes 40w actual wattage a few inches away from your plants.

Make sure the colour temp isnt too hot or you will burn your plants upto 6500k.

if you can find out how many lumens the light gives off the more the better.
By daslasher
chriscanivorous wrote:I dont think 8w will be anywhere near enough wattage, maybes 40w actual wattage a few inches away from your plants.

Make sure the colour temp isnt too hot or you will burn your plants upto 6500k.

if you can find out how many lumens the light gives off the more the better.
But will is work if i have two if them or no and how do i check the colour temp, is it on the tube?
Last edited by daslasher on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dmagnan
Most bulbs with the right range are called "daylight" bulbs right on the package, look for those. 6500 is ideal, but not all packages give a number. If you're using fluorescent lights as the only light source, you want at least 40 watts. If you're just supplementing daylight, 16 total should be fine, but the closer to the light the better, like 4-6 inches if possible. It depends on how dark your window is. If you get bright indirect light all day, 16 watts supplemental is probably enough. If it's darker, you probably want something at least twice as strong.

You can test it by growing the plants there for a few weeks. If the newly grown leaves are long, thin, and weak, then you definitely need more light. Personally if I had my receipt I would go back and exchange the bulbs for something stronger. More light is always better, and sunlight is best!
By daslasher
dmagnan wrote:Most bulbs with about the right range are called "daylight" bulbs right on the package, look for those. 6500 is ideal, but not all packages give a number. If you're using fluorescent lights as the only light source, you want at least 40 watts. If you're just supplementing daylight, 16 total should be fine, but the closer to the light the better, like 4-6 inches if possible. It depends on how dark your window is. If you get bright indirect light all day, 16 watts supplemental is probably enough. If it's darker, you probably want something at least twice as strong.

You can test it by growing the plants there for a few weeks. If the newly grown leaves are long, thin, and weak, then you definitely need more light. Personally if I had my receipt I would go back and exchange the bulbs for something stronger. More light is always better, and sunlight is best!
I tested the lights i got and they tend to get a bit warm so i have to get 6500 because these are 4200 if i didnt tell you
By dmagnan
4200 won't be much use at all. Temperature shouldn't be a problem, especially if they're fluorescent lights, and especially if there's free moving room air between your plants and the lights. I have fluorescents for my terrarium, and while the lights get really hot, the inside of the terrarium doesn't heat up at all. So you know what you need now, good luck!
By daslasher
dmagnan wrote:4200 won't be much use at all. Temperature shouldn't be a problem, especially if they're fluorescent lights, and especially if there's free moving room air between your plants and the lights. I have fluorescents for my terrarium, and while the lights get really hot, the inside of the terrarium doesn't heat up at all. So you know what you need now, good luck!
i found out what a t8 is but the only problem now is how to fit it in my room
By daslasher
now since i got the lighting can i leave my plants to grow day in and day out with just the fluorescent light or should i give it sunlight as well
By GardenNub
Well based on what I have read above, I would say use the fluoros while also giving it sunlight. I have mine growing under a 98watt 4 bulb H/O T5 fluoro and they do fine without added sunlight, but that is a lot of light compared to your setup. But just try it out and see what happens.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!