FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By PhantomBlink
Hey everyone

I've been taking good care of my two CPs (one VFT which has grown 8 new traps in the past 2 weeks (!!!!) and 1 Sarracenia)

However, in the past couple days, I've noticed that the surface of the soil for my VFT's (notable clustered around the perlite in the soil) have begun to grow green!
When I pour water on them, the green portions of the perlite wash off, making me believe they're some kind of fungus or algae??

Anyone have any ideas as to what it is, what I can do to get rid of it, and if it will affect my VFT at all?
If it helps, the VFT is on my windowsill (faces south), gets 6+ hours of good sunlight on a typical day, and I keep the soil moist.
Attachments:
SNB12872.JPG
SNB12872.JPG (64.05 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
By Grey
Although I'm not sure if it will cause any potential health issues, I can confirm it is likely to be algae. I had the same issue when I used a pure dead sphagnum/perlite mix for my plants last June/July. They suffered no ill effects that I noticed though I did repot them shortly after in a less water-retaining mixture.

Hopefully someone else can shed more light on this for you.
By HarrisAz
Algae wont hurt big plants.but if its a seedling,it MIGHT be fatal.
By Gothic TRAPS
I've had similar algae issues before with no ill effects to my plants as well. It seems to me with the recipe of high humidity and the pot sitting in standing water this sort of issue immerges. Though I do have the rhizome and root system wrapped with live spaghnum moss on all my plants for added protection, once you have your plants growing outside with consistant fresh air and direct sunlight the algae does die off or becomes of minimal concern.

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!