FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By PupChow
Hi guys, I am new to carnivorous plants and recently picked up a tropical pitcher plants marked as: Nepenthes Rafflesiana, however there seems to be even more sub-group within it, I am wondering if it is possible to have a better ID?

I also have a question regarding care; I mist the plant with distill water and made sure the root is not soaked in water, but I am seeing some dried edges on some leaves and one or two dried out pitchers. Should I be concern? Besides that it seems to be doing well.

By Eric
If you bought that at a Lowe's or Home Depot chances are that's a Nepenthes Miranda. My plants look exactly like that.
Eric liked this
By PupChow
Eric wrote:If you bought that at a Lowe's or Home Depot chances are that's a Nepenthes Miranda. My plants look exactly like that.
Thank you for the ID! In terms of their care, are they pretty similar? Anything in particular I should look out for?
By Eric
Very similaractually, Rafflesiana is a lowland species while N. Miranda is an intermediate hybrid. But Miranda does well in lowland conditions. Keep it humid and warm.
By snapperhead51
Pup chow
you plant is suffering from several things, and a bit hard to ID with out a pitcher to see what it is , but the marks on the leaf is suggesting that your plant is not all that happy with the conditions your giving it just now ,wondering if it was like this when you bought the plant , its in stress growth ,the brown marks on the leaf is from low light and humidity , more than likely , the unusual markings on the leaf and leaf curl may also indicate a bug problem do to stress health , like mites or some thing like that , this will take a lot of work to get back to health, and may need some time out side in good natural sun up to 70% or more if it a N.raff with 70 % humidity and low breezes , or good ventilation and some possibility mite treatment neem oil will help or mitaside , ,remember these are tropical plants not indoor house plants need tropical conditions to do well and if it is a N.Raff will need a great deal of natural sun light , they grow in the wild in 35 c+ day temps and in full sun with 70 to 90 % humidity and rain most days all most all year round except for the short dry season , the new growth is healthier but still needs the attention ASAP I see a pitcher growing and will need that temp and humidity to continue its expected growth, would love to see the open pitcher to see what the plant is . good luck may sound all very dramatic and over the top ! but if it is a raff , it need these conditions even if its a intermediate plant it will need close to the same conditions to give you the nice pitchers that they can produce

J
snapperhead51 liked this
By tzestan
The leaf shape does not look like rafflesiana.
Of the plants I have, I see rafflesiana usually has its pitcher tip pointing downwards before inflating.
Will need to confirm when you get a pitcher fully developed.
Trust John, he gave very good suggestions already. Good luck!!
tzestan liked this
By PupChow
Thank you guys for the wealth of information, it is very much appreciated by me and my pitcher plant!

A little bit of history:
I bought the plant about 3 weeks ago and the brown markings have been there since day one. The nursery told me that the leaves will develop more brown / bronze if it is in full sun, and that it will also do well as house plants since it does not require a lot of sun, so I figure that it prefer shaded sun light. For the past weeks, when the weather was warmer than 45 C I usually hang the plant under my deck to get some indirect sun-light and move it back indoor when the sun goes down. For the past three days I have been keeping it indoor since the weather has been cold, but starting today I will move him back outside during the day - I was under the impression that it prefers shaded light. Thank you for the correction!

In order to keep up the humidity, should I just water it daily and let it drain from the bottom? I typically just water the soil, should I mist the leaves as well?

I will now do some reading on treating mite, thank you for pointing that out!
By victor
To me that looks like a very sick nepenthes x ventrata.
By snapperhead51
Pup chow .
ok like to know where you are in the world as you have no info on your profile makes it hard to give good advice , have a idea with you name and the temp you quoted ?/ may be wrong :mrgreen: this may help you to get your plant back to health too , and if i am right Tzestan may be a very good help , but that's jumping the gun , so ley us know so we can provide you with the best info
J
By PupChow
Thanks guys, I am located in Maryland, USA, the temperature has been jumping all over the place here but I'd say around the 40s - 50s this coming week. I hope this helps!

I took a short video hoping to give a more complete view to the state the pitcher plant is in, also hope this will be of some help!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLaaORrXLo[/youtube]
By snapperhead51
ok was wrong where i though you were so ,there you go :mrgreen:
your temps for this plant are way to low to be out side yet , it needs to be 80 f + at least and 70 % + Humidity , this temp and humidity will alleviate the browning and dis- colouration on your plant , if this can no be achieved you need to have the lighting inside your house the amount as a spring day ! not just a lamp or fluoro tube , just a few spray bottel misting is not going to do any thing except wet a leaf or two and that's it, you must understand the tropical climate , perhaps you have been to Miami climate this is what is needed all the time for successfully growing , i dough your plant is a Raff , looks more like a ventrata or similar , where still good light is needed and high humidity , but full sun is not needed but at least 70% natural sun light , how you archive this will take some cleaver thinking ,and understanding of what the plant needs are
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By PupChow
Thank you snapperhead and congrats on your 1000th post! =) This may be tricky right now with the weather being as cold as it is. Maybe it's time for me to think about a Terrarium... I have always wanted to keep dart frogs. =)
By victor
Pup Chow great video by the way. I don not recommend your put your nepenthes in a terrium.(unless it's a lowland thats growing not that well) It's already adapted to lower humidity and terriums tend to be breedlign grounds for fungi and algee.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!