FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Morpheus21
Hi I just started with carnivorous plants and I'm propagating from cuttings a nepenthes not really sure about species. I just post a new album at my community profile with the description of how I got the cuttings and in the conditions that my friend was growing them.

This is the link to the album that I uploaded here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous- ... lbumid=504

I got this nepenthes cuttings from a friend that have 3 plants outside hanging under a tree planted in regular potting soil and they had been alive for some years. They only get regular tap water two or three times a week and he told me that he used 20-20-20 fertilizer twice in them and the leafs got burned a little. So as incredible as its sounds I think I'm gonna have almost indestructible nepenthes when they root completely. Not sure about variety. The three plants are different as I can see in the leaf shape but I only got an about 10 inches cutting that i divided in 4 pieces.

I know its very difficult to identify Nepenthes species without the pitchers but I will appreciate any help and tips. I already got all the books that are recommended in the book section and I have done a lot of research in the Internet for the last month about carnivorous plants and specially Nepenthes. This cuttings have like 3-4 weeks planted in a mix of about 75% long fiber sphagnum moss and 25 fine orchid bark mix that includes pieces of perlite and charcoal. I had keep them in a big plastic bag that I open everyday and they receive filtered sun from my front frosted glass door every morning for about three hours. The rest of the day they get low light from the same door. Every cutting has two growing tips except the one from the top growing that already grew two new leaves the second week but the newer one is still closed. I used twice in the last week a very very very very diluted solution of 20-14-13 as a foliar feeding fertilizer. Don't worry I studied agriculture sciences and I know how to mix the correct proportions and the plants looks very green and healthy. The only thing is that I'm not sure how much this cuttings will take to grow a good root system. I'm thinking next week to apply a very diluted solution of Super thrive to see if I can encourage better roots.

One photo from the album:
By tzestan
This is just my guess. From its leaf shape, color, tendril, stem, and waxy coating, looks very much like ventrata. A hybrid of ventricosa and alata.
It will be good if you can update when getting pitcher.

Ventrata is practically diehard. Very good starter plant. Fresh cutting should produce pitcher after 2-3months.
Good luck!
tzestan liked this
By snapperhead51
yep 100% correct this is N.x ventrata or just N.ventrata not any difference usually between the 2 no mistaking the leaf shape and texture on them in the pic provided :) the top cutting will grow the quickest and the others will lag behind further down the stem you have cut on the cutting stem !
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By victor
The bottom cutting will have a sprout come out near the side and near the top. Thats
where the new growth will come out from those.
By Morpheus21
tzestan wrote:This is just my guess. From its leaf shape, color, tendril, stem, and waxy coating, looks very much like ventrata. A hybrid of ventricosa and alata.
It will be good if you can update when getting pitcher.

Ventrata is practically diehard. Very good starter plant. Fresh cutting should produce pitcher after 2-3months.
Good luck!
I will surely take and post more photos during the development of the pitchers. I will also start to cultivate Venus Flytraps soon. I live in a tropical climate but I think I can manage dormancy with the refrigerator method. My seeds just arrived today.
By Morpheus21
snapperhead51 wrote:yep 100% correct this is N.x ventrata or just N.ventrata not any difference usually between the 2 no mistaking the leaf shape and texture on them in the pic provided :) the top cutting will grow the quickest and the others will lag behind further down the stem you have cut on the cutting stem !
J
Thanks for the identification of my nepenthes, I hope they produce lots of beautiful pitchers like the ones in many photos that I had seen. I heard of some nurseries in my island that recently start to sell nepenthes and once my cuttings are growing and healthy I will try to get different species.
By snapperhead51
I think what Victor is saying is, on 99% of nepenthe plants there are growth nodules situated at the base of each leaf on the top side of the leaf stem joining , not all these are active, but once the stem is cut,a natural internal hormone takes the nears active nodule and help the new stem to grow , these can be seen very clearly on your cuttings , they are just about to pop out new growth stems for you , the top cutting is the youngest so will growth the fastest because its the natural way, its a lot more tec than that but that is the easy way to explain it i hope !!
J
just pop a pic of what your pitchers may look like in a few years or so, once a cutting is taken they mostly produce upper pitchers until a secondary stem grow shoots, then the larger lower pitchers will appear !. in most cause !
j
Attachments:
98 N.  x.  ventrata  ( clasic  ).JPG
98 N. x. ventrata ( clasic ).JPG (68.22 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
By victor
WOW! That plant is beautiful! I can't believe a cutting could produce pitcers like that.
By Daniel_G
A Cutting will take about a year or two to make pitchers that big, as that look's like it's a flowering sixe N x ventrata (Correct me if i'm wrong John) But they will still look great in the meantime :D

By the way, congratulations on getting some N x ventrata cutting's :D
By snapperhead51
no no no this pic is not a cutting , but a adult plant i have ,what i am saying is but the secondary growth of a cutting can produce this pitchers in time ok !! when i say a few years i mean 3 or 4 years ok !! in the scale of nep growth !! :mrgreen:
By victor
Oh okay we got cha!!! :lol:

Hey thats like one off your shortest posts. hahahaha :lol: :lol: hahaha :lol:

(the "haha" is me laughing )
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!