FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
dmagnan wrote:
DTDream18 wrote:Of course I love the looks of mature plants. But I enjoy very much getting younger plants and raising them up into
their full glory.
I agree wholeheartedly. For me this hobby is just as much about being to raise and take care of these little guys as it is to have them.
I too have ALWAYS ordered small plants (I have never ordered a mature plant or a "large" plant when it is offered). I really enjoy getting them small and watching them grow to adulthood. But of course, it's really awesome to have a monster plant in your collection. And they always divide into smaller plants, so you'll have the opportunity to raise those divisions from infancy to adulthood if you choose to do so.
DTDream18 wrote:Matt ... Any chance you will be adding any more unpotted Red Piranha's for sale ? I ordered 6 of them yesterday and would love to order a few more. But I see that all there is left are potted ones. I hate to waste a good pot that I would just discard immediatly. ( I also would hate paying for the extra potting charge and postage ... LOL )
I have quite a few Red Piranhas, but they all look so small right now because they're dormant. Red Piranha seems to die back during dormancy more than some other clones. But as long as it is made clear that they will be much larger once they break dormancy and people understand that (Steve made up a "notice" and emailed it to me and I put stickers on the packing slips to hopefully explain to people that the plants look small this time of year), I guess there isn't too much of a problem.

How about you wait until you get your current order (which I shipped today and should be there by Tuesday or Wednesday) and then PM me if you still want more Red Piranha? It really is an awesome clone when it's in it's full glory, as you can see by the photo of my mother pot during the growing season :)
By jht-union
I just place my order!!!!! :)
can't wait to get them.

Matt, What do i get when buying plants at the FTS over $200?, just curious because i have the shirt already, i was wondering if the discount coupon, or what?

Thank you, and i can't wait to get them hopefully if not wednesday, then on thursday! :)
By Wahter
jht-union wrote:That is a good idea matt, i like it.

Sounds like tomorrow or monday i will take a trip to raleigh to buy more silica sand, and then to lowes to buy 4 pots, once i have that, i will place the order
Where in Raleigh are you going to buy the silica sand? I was curious to know if they have multiple grain sizes (like some people, I've been using pool filter sand from Home Depot or Ace Hardware).

Walter
By Wahter
Matt wrote: I'm just really hoping that people understand that the plants that are being shipped right now are still basically dormant. They're just coming out of dormancy and starting to put out their first growth of the season. For that reason, they look much smaller than they will in a month or so.

Here's a good example. This is what my mother pot of Red Piranha looked like last year:
And here's what it looks like today:

I'm slightly worried that I put things in stock too soon and that some people won't be happy with the apparent size of the plants...even though they'll be much larger once they fully break dormancy in a month or so. I think I might wait longer to put stuff in stock next season.
Those two photos really "set" the customer's expectations and "explain" everything. :)

Can you let me know which variety of VFT is that on the left side of the "last year" photo? The plants with the super long and skinny petiole?

Thanks!

Walter
By jht-union
Wahter wrote:Where in Raleigh are you going to buy the silica sand? I was curious to know if they have multiple grain sizes (like some people, I've been using pool filter sand from Home Depot or Ace Hardware).
The direction is:
6641 Falls of Neuse Road
Raleigh, NC 27615.
The place is called Leslies Pool supplies, they have the right silica size that i want for my CP's, it is exactly alike or the same size that i saw at lake waccamaw north carolina, where the VFT's grow in the wild.
But i was wondering if because the silica is wet, would the lowes, home depot, or ace be the same size as the silica from this place, i guess after 5 times going to lowes, and asking the same question, a 6 time going again and looking at the filter sand they have wouldn't hurt right? :lol:
I will have to prove it.
jht-union, kelvinc1989 liked this
By Wahter
jht-union wrote:
Wahter wrote:Where in Raleigh are you going to buy the silica sand? I was curious to know if they have multiple grain sizes (like some people, I've been using pool filter sand from Home Depot or Ace Hardware).
The direction is:
6641 Falls of Neuse Road
Raleigh, NC 27615.
The place is called Leslies Pool supplies, they have the right silica size that i want for my CP's, it is exactly alike or the same size that i saw at lake waccamaw north carolina, where the VFT's grow in the wild.
But i was wondering if because the silica is wet, would the lowes, home depot, or ace be the same size as the silica from this place, i guess after 5 times going to lowes, and asking the same question, a 6 time going again and looking at the filter sand they have wouldn't hurt right? :lol:
I will have to prove it.
Thanks!

One of these days, I'll have to check out the habitats of the native Venus fly traps and pitcher plants. This document lists some (have you been to all of these?):

http://www.capefearcoast.com/resources/ ... ochure.pdf

Walter
By David F
Matt wrote: I'm slightly worried that I put things in stock too soon and that some people won't be happy with the apparent size of the plants...even though they'll be much larger once they fully break dormancy in a month or so. I think I might wait longer to put stuff in stock next season.
Wait, Matt? Are you saying that dormant plants are "smaller", and have less traps??? WHAT??? My whole view on the world is changed. OMG! lol just messing with you, but to be honest, a person like me, who's impatient, is slightly saddened to see how small they are, but I love it when I see like 10 leaves coming, and 239043 flowers that I can see coming right after dormancy, I just get estatic, so I think dormant and fullgrowns are equally awesome.
By jht-union
Wahter wrote:One of these days, I'll have to check out the habitats of the native Venus fly traps and pitcher plants. This document lists some (have you been to all of these?):

http://www.capefearcoast.com/resources/ ... ochure.pdf
Really nice,
unfortunately, i have only been to lake waccamaw, and no, i did not see a wild VFT :( x 100000, first i went in winter, it was rainy, windy, and the place was lonely as hell, sounds like one need to walk to find them, and it was getting darker at 4pm, i arrived at 3pm. But hopefully i'll be back one of this days i hope! :)
Thank you for the list!
By Matt
jht-union wrote:Matt, What do i get when buying plants at the FTS over $200?, just curious because i have the shirt already, i was wondering if the discount coupon, or what?
Hah, yeah, we don't have a $200 order bonus right now. I guess I'll have to stick something in the box to surprise you ;)
Wahter wrote:Can you let me know which variety of VFT is that on the left side of the "last year" photo? The plants with the super long and skinny petiole?
That's my mother pot of the infamous "WIP Slim Snapper" originally grown by long time CPer Bob Hanrahan who sent a few divisions to Steve who then sent a few to me. I got it in TC last year and I have it propagating right now. It should be available for sale late this year or early next year.
By dantt99
Matt wrote:"WIP Slim Snapper"
What does WIP stand for?
By dantt99
Cool, but what happened to the company, did he just get tired of running it?
By jht-union
Matt wrote:Hah, yeah, we don't have a $200 order bonus right now. I guess I'll have to stick something in the box to surprise you
Sounds great, can't wait to receive those mature plants and the young ones!, and again matt, thank you, and don't worry if they look smaller, i perfectly understand that, and the real traps will show hopefully two weeks from the day they arrive! :)
Matt,
Same as the babies, grown in greenhouse?, that means i can just stick them outside to receive direct sun in my greenhouse?, I always prefer to first keep them in my room for a day or two giving it partial sun, to get them used to the environment they will be in, then sticking them outside, just to make sure they are ok for the first two days, then they can be ready to go out!
Does that ssounds something good to you, or should i just stick them outside right away?
Thank you!
By Matt
jht-union wrote:Matt,
Same as the babies, grown in greenhouse?, that means i can just stick them outside to receive direct sun in my greenhouse?
Some of them will come from under fluorescent lights on my grow rack, so it will be a good idea to give them a chance to get settled in and then gradually introduce them to direct sunlight. The sunlight this time of year is pretty mild compared to what it will be later in the summer, but they'll still probably burn if you just throw them out in full sun all day.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!