FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Submit a photo to enter the contest or vote for your favorite photo submission

Moderator: Matt

Do you /Have you, voted for your own plant in the contests?

Yes
75%
No
25%
By Oblivion
David F wrote:My question does anyone "vote for a photo they think doesn't have a chance, so all the others that might have a chance, don't get that vote?" :)
kind of, yes.

not to spite others though..

but i have voted for less than perfect pics because i like the plants in the photo, and because the more editing ppl do to a photo the less inclined i become to vote for it, because it kinda says "my pic wasnt perfect so i photochopped it".

the less cropping, sharpness adjusting, brightness tweaking, colour enhancing etc.. the more likely it is to get my vote.

i like photo's how i like my women... raw and as they truely are, without 3" of makeup (no editing)

and i never vote for my own pic.
By Grey
Oblivion wrote:i like photo's how i like my women... raw and as they truely are, without 3" of makeup (no editing)
Bliv you are a relief to natural women everywhere! Yay!

I haven't submitted anything to the competition nor have I voted yet. If I had submitted my own photo I certainly wouldn't vote for it as I rarely do anything worthy of merit. I'm not sure why I haven't voted on the competition yet mind you.. I might do later.. maybe.
By dantt99
Oblivion wrote:the less cropping, sharpness adjusting, brightness tweaking, colour enhancing etc.. the more likely it is to get my vote.
Believe it or not, I would just like to make a point. As far as some pics I've taken before, I don't edit them barely at all, I crop to center the pic, and I turn up the brightness to get more light into the photo, if it lacks any. I know it's all opinion, but what don't you like about editing a photo to make it look better? Especially if the plant still looks exactly like a plant?
By Oblivion
anyone can make a photo look great with digital manipulation.

sometimes it ends up being pretty far away from what the original photo was.

thats coming down to who can manipulate their picture the best, rather than quite simply 'who has a nice plant'
By yinepu
Oblivion wrote:anyone can make a photo look great with digital manipulation.

thats coming down to who can manipulate their picture the best, rather than quite simply 'who has a nice plant'
Well.. not ANYONE.. my ex couldn't make a pic look good no matter how hard he tried... :lol:

I thought this was a photo contest?.. not a "who has the prettiest plant" contest... or am I mistaken?
By Oblivion
actually i think you may be, since its a carnivore plant that your photographing.

its more about the plants IN the photo than just a great looking photo of any old thing, but of course the pic does count since a great plant in a blurry pic is kinda hard to enjoy too.

if what you say is true then i'll take the best pic youve ever seen but it'll be of a dead fly trap or sarra...
do you think ill win the contest? :O

its about the plant.. the photo is merely the way you share it with people on the other side of the globe.

at our ACPS meets we do the same thing but without the photo.
everyone brings a plant for "show n tell" as i call it.. and then we vote on who has the nicest plant.

this is the exact same thing that we do here, but your using a photo to share it.
By dantt99
I don't want this to become a debate or anything, but if it's a great plant but a bad photo what's the point?
By David F
I think a photo contest, in all sense of the terms of "photo," it means artistic/creative, if we were comparing plants, (correct me if I'm wrong,) it would be a "picture" contest, or a "plant contest" and mat would win all of those so.... :)
David F liked this
By JimsPlants
Oblivion wrote:anyone can make a photo look great with digital manipulation.

It should be a balance of a great plant-photographed well, and yes mostly unedited although cropping is fine as it is just removing the unwanted part of the photo, which is needed in most circumstances unless you have a super macro lense.
Oblivion wrote:if what you say is true then i'll take the best pic youve ever seen but it'll be of a dead fly trap or sarra...
do you think ill win the contest? :O

It happened the first contest: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/downl ... hp?id=3625 http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/first ... t5833.html

A good photo of a deadish plant and what appears to be some carfully placed Insects. I don't think animals or insects should be artifically placed in a photo(seemed to be the theme of one contest), but great if naturally captured.
Oblivion wrote:at our ACPS meets we do the same thing but without the photo.
everyone brings a plant for "show n tell" as i call it.. and then we vote on who has the nicest plant.
That'll be the difference between a Plant contest and a Photo contest.

If you took an awful picture of an amazing plant should it win a photo contest?

I think we should all just vote for our favourite 3!(not one) photos :) with judgement based on both plant quality and photographic quality. And not vote for substandard photos to ward off compeition, otherwise its pointless.
Last edited by JimsPlants on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By yinepu
David F wrote:I think a photo contest, in all sense of the terms of "photo," it means artistic/creative, if we were comparing plants, (correct me if I'm wrong,) it would be a "picture" contest, or a "plant contest" and mat would win all of those so.... :)
I was thinking the exact same thing! :lol:

Matt does have some amazing plants
By Oblivion
thats what ive been saying all along.

its not purely about the photo quality
its not purely about the most awesome plant in a blurry photo (i already stated this but most skimmed it, it seems)

its a good combo of the two, but more about the plant imo.

if i may use snapperheads photo's as an example.. its an ordinary snapshot type of photo (not an elaborate photo shoot with advanded photochopping) of an awesome plant, and its the plant quality thats drawing his votes - not because it was edited to look great.

imho, thats how it should be.
when i vote its 70/30 plant/photo, as long as its a clear in focus pic thats all i care about. the rest of my vote is based on plant quality.
By dantt99
Okay, thanks for clarifying!
I will pick mostly based on the photo. After all, it's a "photo contest." ;) I love macro shots on beautiful traps/pitchers/leaves/whatevers . I vote on great macro shots on nice plants, if you want my vote ;)
By Oblivion
if its mostly a 'photo contest' i should be able to post pics of my dog, my pond + lily's, a beautiful sunset...

it is a CP forum, so it should be more about the CP really (imho)
By dantt99
Oblivion wrote:if its mostly a 'photo contest' i should be able to post pics of my dog, my pond + lily's, a beautiful sunset...

it is a CP forum, so it should be more about the CP really (imho)
We can call it a CP Photo Contest if that helps ;)
Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!