FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By daslasher
I was thinking that plants need nitrogen to grow and then i thought to myself what if i get a tank of nitrogen and then give some to my VFT would they die or would they grow i dont know give me your thoughts on this and tell me what you think would happen?
By HarrisAz
i was having the same idea as yours before but when experts told me.those nitrogen in the tanks are freezing and doesnt help in growth of the plant and will kill the plant for the coldness.

the nitrogen that plant loves is another type of nitrogen which is in a form of nutrient.

well thats my theory from what i understand from experts.

Harris :)
By daslasher
HarrisAz wrote:i was having the same idea as yours before but when experts told me.those nitrogen in the tanks are freezing and doesnt help in growth of the plant and will kill the plant for the coldness.

the nitrogen that plant loves is another type of nitrogen which is in a form of nutrient.

well thats my theory from what i understand from experts.

Harris :)
ah, i see well there gos that plan but i will see if i can find nitrogen in nutrient form
By dmagnan
plants take up nitrogen from the soil in the form of ammonia (NH3). This is called "fixed" nitrogen and is generally produced by microorganisms that associate with plants' roots.
Gaseous nitrogen (N2) is useless to plants. The air you breathe is 78% gaseous nitrogen, but plants can't use it. They need bacteria to convert it.
Attachments:
Nitrogen_Cycle.500a.jpg
Nitrogen_Cycle.500a.jpg (47.8 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
By daslasher
dmagnan wrote:plants take up nitrogen from the soil in the form of ammonia (NH3). This is called "fixed" nitrogen and is generally produced by microorganisms that associate with plants' roots.
Gaseous nitrogen (N2) is useless to plants. The air you breathe is 78% gaseous nitrogen, but plants can't use it. They need bacteria to convert it.
thnk you for teaching me this ,i forgot that i needed bacteria DAMN YOU MEMORY LOSS!
By Sky924
If you want good growth I would by pass the N2 and go with CO2,, A lot of light, good air movement and a CO2 rich enviroment will make your plants grow like the dickens.
Last edited by Sky924 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sky924
By the way, CP's do have a need for nitrogen,, But the get it from the insects they trap. Go with the CO2 Option.
By bombsboy
I think the traps would fail to fully mature, and the plant would make flared peristomes.
Anyone up for a test?
By Richardavion
http://imgs.tootoo.com/f5/77/f577b58151 ... 10426e.jpg

They-Get Their Nitrogen Primary as FERRICYANIDE Leached from The-Charcoal in-The Sandy-Soil. This-Is 'Why' COAL Just Doesn't Substitute for-It (It also Has too-Much Sulphur In-It). 'How'-it-Is Naturally Leached in-These Coastal-Plain Soils is-Worthy of an International-Conference.

http://www.lookchem.com/300w/2010/075/15320-55-5.jpg

It's-R Molecule Packed-with ENERGY as-Well-as Nitrogen ... so-it's Very 'Economical' from-an Ecological Point-of-View. it's-also R-'Soluble' Carbon-Resource (Once-Leached) in-R Very-Sandy Enironment with Little-(Sparse)-Other Organic-Matter:

http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/plants/di ... enderz.jpg

It's Relatively Non-toxic Due-to- The-Nature-of-IRON ... one-of-Few Handful-or-So Elements of The Periodic-Table that-Can Natural 'Fix'-Nitrogen from the-Atmosphere without the-Aid of-R-Catalyst [in-Fact Elemental-IRON it-Is Actually Used as a Catalyst In The-Haber-Process ... but it-Is of-Course THEN 'Red'-Hot & under Extreme-Pressure 200-300 Pounds-per-Square-Inch]. Thus The-Iron is soo-'Tightly'-Bound to The Cyanide-Portion of The-Molecule that It-Is Virtually 'Harmless' ... though one 'should' Alway urge-caution with Any-Chemical or Compound, so-to-Speak!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

Commercial-Places Started Using-it IN The-Nineties with-The 'Cover'-Story of: "TANNIC-Teas" (About the-Time Most Mexican-Pings Went Magenta) ... but When People Tried-Using Coffee Tea-Bags &-The-Like They-Changed Their-'Story' to: "SEAWEED-Extract".

It's Relatively-CHEAP &-Available from-Most Photographic-Stores!!! >(*U^)<

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!