FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Richardavion

OK ... So-If-You're 'Been' Following The KEOUGH's K140 Sand / Sloans' CYCLONE-'Doost' Thread You Should by-Now Have-R-Dustbin Somewhat Looking-like THIS:

The-Sand Should 'Now'-be YELLOW (Perhaps-with Grey, Blue &-or Purplely-Patches Here-&-There) With Pools-of Orange-Brown IRON-II-Chloride Languishing Thereabouts.

Now-You Need to-Get-Yourself R-Few SMITHERS-"Oasis" 'Floral'-Foam Bricks R-Fairly-'Squarish' Container of-Sorts:

Don't-'Worry' ... It-Doesn't have to-'Look' Too-SPECCOID ... Just Has-to-Be SAFE-&-'Functional' ... So-'Considering' You'll-be Using ACID It's-Best to-Incorporate R-Few Safety-(OVER-Flow)-Precautions Into the-Model:

Make-'Sure' The-Holes R-Fully-Functional & Uncloggable (Probably 'Best' to-Use-R-'SLOT' If-Neccessary) &-'PRIME' The Bricks &-Bath as-Needed:

Now You'll-be Placing R-Modified-Pot Onto This 'Platform' Like-SO:

&-HERE's-'How' to make the-Necessary Adjustments for The-Pot:

FIRST Take-R ~ 4.5-Litre Pot & Cut-The-Base Out-of-It Like-SO:

Now Cut-R DISC of Plastic-Impregnated Fibreglass FLYWIRE to-Size:

Place-it SO:

Now Take Two-Sheets of Kitchen-Wipes Towelling:

Place-Them In-the-BOTTOM-of-The-Pot Like-SO:

Place The-Pot ON Your Housing as-Shown Before.

Now Place Your-Dustbin Within Close-Proximity to-Your Housing & C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y!!! >(*~*)< SCOOP-Out Your 'First' Trowel of ACIDIC-Sand:

NOW Place-It IN The Bottom-of Your Pot On-The-Housing:

Continue-On 'Untill' Your-Pot Is 'Just'-Over HALF-Full with ACIDIC-Sand:

Let the-'Excess' Acid Filter-OUT of The System ... Being-Carefully that-Nothing CLOGGS, so-to-Speak for-R Backlog of-Acid Can-Be Very-Dangerous if-'Not' NEUTRALISED:

Now Cut-R PLACER Out-of-An Old Chinese-Food Container:

& Place-it THUS:

On-'Top' Of the Still Very-Acid Sand.

Carefully Fill the UPPER-Half of the-Pot with Water making-Sure that the-Placer 'Floats' &-Protects The-'SURFACE' of teh Sand from General-Exposure from The Inflow / Flux of-Water:

Place-R-Cover ON-Top &-'Allow' to-STAND:

Outflow Should-be 'About' 1DPS IE One 'Drip'-Per-Second:

&-'Best' Deposited ONTO R 2-3-inch-layer of Course DOLOMITE-Limestone [Calcium-Magnesium CARBONATE] for Good-&-Rapid NEUTRALISATION (Underbench).

The-FIRST-'Flush' Will-'Drop' The-pH from 1-to-about-~2.5

Subsequent-Flushes:

Will-Take The pH to-Near-NEUTRAl IE Around pH-7 Depending-On The-'Fineness' of the-Sand You-R Using. (3-4 fFushes for Fine-Sand Only 2-3 for Course so-to-Speak).

LEAVING-You With Something Approximating The-Following:

Something Closely-Resembl'e'ling SILVER-Sand ... Though if-You 'Want' Absolutely Crystal-White Granules ... Just-LEAVE The Sand In-The-Dustbin for 1-2 months or-Perhaps Even ... Just-have One-Sitting-Aside for Extended Periods-of-Time Say-In The-'OFF'-Season to-Potting-UP Etc, Etc. so-to-Pseak!!!?? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<
Richardavion liked this
By moof
Hi,
You did some chemistry there, looks like the plants gonna like it but hey I'm not sure if that's the easiest way;) I use pure quartz sand and wash it with distilled water, works fine for me! It does not affect the pH of the soil.
By the way, shouldn't it be Iron III chloride instead of Iron II?

Peter
By Richardavion
Well, ... You're 'Lucky' If-You Can Get-Your Hands ON Quartzite-Sand of The-Size & 'Purity' You-Want .

We-Use-to be-Able-to But The-Company That Manufactured-It Moved-Interstate (800Ks Away) ... &-So Now "I"ve 'Found' an-Alternative Way of Producing-it, so-to-speak.

If-'This' topic IS-to-be Move (because-it Contains NO flytrap Images) Then-it Ought to-Be Moved INTO Soils or Media-Supplies Section Equivalent

... It's MORE-than Idle Chit-Chat that Any Decent-Moderator Worth His-or-Her 'Salt' Ought-to-be Able to-Tell as-Such (Perhaps "I"m-Being R-Little-'Harsh' &-With R-Cup-of-COFFEE &-R Slice-of-Cake It-Would-Have-Been Moved-THERE by-Tomorrow anyway!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<).

... but Then-again That's What "I"-'Like'-about This-Site Compared to-Others There-R People ON-Here that-Haven't Got-R 'M'ucking-Clue, Haven't-Read R-Single-Damn CP-Book In-Their Lives &-'Yet' They're Quite-Willing to UPLOAD The-Most God-Aweful of Images of-CPs in-the-Most Constrained of Hellish-Contortions / Conditions ... &-You 'Know'-What One-of-Those People May-'Just' ACCIDENTAl Stubleupon The-Answer to-Our Beloved CPs

... for "I"-Grew-UP with-Them In-WA, Saw-Some Caught-by Quarentine &-"I'-Can Definitely Tell-You We-Haven't-Even Begun to-'Scratch'-The-Surface of What Will-Be 'Possible' In-the-Future ONCE-We 'Understand' What-Is Going-On IN-The-Wild, so-to-Speak!!!

People Overseas Tell-Me That Flytraps IN-The-Wild Begin Their Annual-Life Worst-Looking than-Anything You'd-'See' IN-Cultivation ... but By-The-END-of-The-Season We're-Talking 3.25-Inch Traps!!! >(*~*)< "I"-Believe-'em ... "I"-'Saw'-Some Caught by Quarantine as-R-Nine-Year-Old Child &-Believe Most-of-The-Traps Were-of That Order-of-Size.

"I"-'Use'-to-Tell My-Classmates On-R-Regular-Basis: "Whoever 'Conquers' The-Flytrap Will-be as-Famous as EINSTEIN" ... What-"I'' 'Said'-THEN Is-'Still'-True TODAY &-'Yet' Some 38-Years Later Noone has Stepped-UP to-The-Plate.

We-Have Machines TODAY that-Could 'Analyze' Digested Dionaea-Soil In-Less-than 10-Minutes ("I"m being 'Generous'-HERE >(*U^)<) ... &-Yet R-There Any-Scientists In-America Burning-Rubber & Putting-UP Clouds-of-Dust In-Order to-Publish such-DATA???

Don't-'Put' The-ONUS on-Me "I"ve 'Had' My Good-Go with The-Conundrum Paid My-Dues so-to-Speak ... it's The-'Rest'-of-Those Slackers Out-THERE You-'Should'-Be Worried-about.

There's-R-Great 'Question' to-be ANSWERED Out-THERE &-The Scientists Arn't-Even 'Wasting' Any-of-Your Hard-Earned Tax-Dollars ON-It!!! >(*~*)<

"I"-Don't 'Know' If-There's R-Word Describing The-Collective-SHAME for-Others ... but-"I"m Definitely Feeling-some Tonight!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<
By David F
I love the way you type your ideas, you should be a writer! I agree, someone should definately analize soil of the VTF. But the problem with that is, say we take onions from the wild, they are going to be tiny, and covered and not doing as well as they could. We take them home, and give them conditions they like, and they become huge, sweet and delicious.

The statement stands, who says we can't take better care of them in artificial conditions as apposed to wild? We did it with the onions didn't we?

I thank you for this post, and I hope others do too, I hope to hear a responce soon ! :)
By JimsPlants
Richard, i like your threads about sand. They are very informative and thourough. Please keep them coming.

What ratio or what would be your overall media mix with this fine grain sand for Dionaea?

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!