FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By sekler
Hey guys, just curious here.

How long have you grown your plants / What's the longest time you have owned CPs for ?

It's crazy how we get attached to those "pets". I got my first last August and now own several. I just feel like i wanna have them forever. It's such a weird feeling that no one understands, I'm examining them in details a few times per day.

Am I alone to do this ? I'm curious to know for how long have you been growing your oldest plant ? Do you still have your first plant ?

By Jaws
"I'm examining them in details a few times per day."

Your not alone there :p
By jht-union
I have own my oldest CP, which was my first VFT that i bought in amazon since april 2010( the first 2 weeks of april), so i have had it i think for 9-10 months, and now i have about 2700 carnivorus plants, and i have 6 species of CP's! :)

Oh, i watch all my plants almost every 10 minutes, everyday, before eating i check them and give them water first, then i eat. :)
One can become really addicted to this wonderful plants! :)
By Daniel_G
I have around 200 plant's with 5 different species and the plant i've had longest is my Dionea "typical" It'll alway's hold a place in my haert, it's alway's been the most vigorous grower af allmy plant's, alway's dividing, and flowering, and growing new traps every few day's, i've only had it for 11 months and 19 day's but i love it to bit's (if you can love a plant to bit's)

And, i too am guilty of extensively checking al my plant's every day :lol:
By Grey
My oldest plant is Mr. Nomnom. Got him in July last year.. then we have Beatrice, my first Pinguicula. I love all my plants and am certainly addicted as well. My cats aren't amused that they've lost their primary bird watching post on my windowsill to these green snappy things.. hehe.
By dantt99
You're not alone, my mini greenhouse gets checked multiple times per day :D
My oldest plants are (2) my Cupped Trap and my Typical. I got them October 2010. The cupped trap grows much better and quicker than the typical, but I haven't seen either grow much because of dormancy. That's why I'm so excited for spring! :)
By dantt99
Congratulations Grey! Mine are either having transplant shock or dying :lol:
By Daniel_G
Grey wrote:My venus fly traps are throwing out flower stalks :lol: warms my heart to see Mr. Nomnom reproducing, considering he's my first (and therefore oldest) carnivorous plant.
Yeah, mine just done that too, i'm having flower's everywhere! :mrgreen:
By Grey
I wasn't sure if I put them in dormancy properly. With it being my first I was terrified of the stories of mould and mildew and so left them bare root on the floor (in a container with a dribble of pure water and sphagnum) in our unheated conservatory. I now know they needed more light.. but to be honest I'm not so worried now as their reaction times and growing behaviour during the dormancy period appeared the same as everyone else's. Huge relief to see them bursting into life and flowering.

Sorry for going slightly off-topic :lol:. I do have a Nepenthes Alata that I've had for quite a few months, had it since it was about 5cm across.
By protocarnivorous 61
I had a Neph that became over grown , and grew another shoot , and clipped off the vine part , it did ok , for about a 11/2 years , and have not been successful with VFT 's I think my last mistake was too much water for the light it was getting , and another got owned by a grasshopper , here I am back at it again .
By bombsboy
dantt99 wrote:You're not alone, my mini greenhouse gets checked multiple times per day :D
My oldest plants are (2) my Cupped Trap and my Typical. I got them October 2010. The cupped trap grows much better and quicker than the typical, but I haven't seen either grow much because of dormancy. That's why I'm so excited for spring! :)
i guess thats when you joined the FTC forums!
my oldest is probably my 2 year old VFT typical, and a Dente variety i won in a raffle!
By jht-union
Wow jonh, by everything you know and have, i thought you were into CP's about 30 years ago. Wow, definitely is not many years.
Am i wrong at guessing that if it was your first sarra, then that means you probably started 12 years ago right? :?

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!