Question about peat moss and perlite?

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones
User Avatar
Newbee

 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:55 am
Location: Olympia,Wa
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Question about peat moss and perlite?

by Newbee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 am

So i read on venus flytrap care for potting mixes that 1 part peat to 1 part perlite is readily excepted by venus flytraps for potting mixtures.Should i go with that ratio of a mixture or should i go with something else?Thanks. :)

User Avatar
Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 20327
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:28 am
Location: Ashland, Oregon
Thanked: 4979 times in 3999 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by Matt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 am

I prefer a mix with silica sand in it. The sand breaks up the soil better and allows for a healthier root system. But many people have trouble finding silica sand, so a 50:50 mix of peat and perlite will work just fine.
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

User Avatar
victor

 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Thanked: 319 times in 312 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by victor » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Yeah thats the basic mix I use with my plants and they do very well.
If I have helped you in any way please use the thank button. :D

To those of who don't know what Massachusetts is it's a state in the U.S.

Also, you can view my growlist here. :)
My Growlist

User Avatar
Grey
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 pm
Location: England, United Kingdom
Thanked: 1380 times in 972 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by Grey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 am

I use the basic peat/perlite mix as well, but I also add a light sprinkle of dead, chopped sphagnum moss to loosen the mix up a bit. I find it also helps my soil reserves last a little longer.

User Avatar
chriscanivorous

 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 pm
Thanked: 15 times in 15 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by chriscanivorous » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Im going to use peat/perlite/broke up polystyrene(instead of silica). at a 40/30/30 medium and a layer of live sphagnum on top will this be ok?? and for germinating seeds?
If you plant honesty, You will reap trust
If you plant goodness, You will reap friends
If you plant hard work, You will reap success
If you plant patience, You will reap improvements
If you plant faith, You will reap miracles

User Avatar
Grey
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 pm
Location: England, United Kingdom
Thanked: 1380 times in 972 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by Grey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Sounds good! I don't know if you need the live sphagnum on top for venus fly traps but whatever you prefer.

For seeds I finely sift my soil mixture (peat/sand) using a seive and just use that. I don't add anything else to it unless I'm worried about losing moisture rapidly (which never happens).

The following users would like to thank Grey for this post
chriscanivorous

User Avatar
chriscanivorous

 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 pm
Thanked: 15 times in 15 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by chriscanivorous » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Grey wrote:Sounds good! I don't know if you need the live sphagnum on top for venus fly traps but whatever you prefer.

For seeds I finely sift my soil mixture (peat/sand) using a seive and just use that. I don't add anything else to it unless I'm worried about losing moisture rapidly (which never happens).


well i already payed for the live fresh sphanum so i may aswell use it now :)
If you plant honesty, You will reap trust
If you plant goodness, You will reap friends
If you plant hard work, You will reap success
If you plant patience, You will reap improvements
If you plant faith, You will reap miracles

User Avatar
Grey
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3255
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 pm
Location: England, United Kingdom
Thanked: 1380 times in 972 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by Grey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Great :). I personally don't use it but I'm sure others prefer to, so if it works for you then fantastic!

User Avatar
Steve_D

 
Posts: 3913
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Portales, New Mexico
Thanked: 1460 times in 992 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by Steve_D » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:13 pm

chriscanivorous wrote:Im going to use peat/perlite/broke up polystyrene(instead of silica). at a 40/30/30 medium and a layer of live sphagnum on top

If you live in a very humid environment, that mix ratio sounds OK. If you live in a less humid environment, you might consider changing the mix ratio to 50/25/25 (sphagnum-peat-moss/perlite/polystyrene-bits). The live sphagnum moss will be problematic if you use it with Venus Flytraps, because the Flytraps will like more direct sunlight and heat than living sphagnum may prefer. So the live sphagnum may be uncomfortable and the tips may brown and dry out, and if you keep the live sphagnum moss wet enough for its own comfort, you would probably be overwatering the Venus Flytrap and might encourage rot.

Live sphagnum moss works well in some conditions (cooler temperatures or with plants that like diminished light in hot temperatures) and not so well in others. This is just one grower's opinions. I'm sure you'll get other opinions to consider as well. :) Happy growing!--

The following users would like to thank Steve_D for this post
chriscanivorous

User Avatar
chriscanivorous

 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 pm
Thanked: 15 times in 15 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by chriscanivorous » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Steve_D wrote:
chriscanivorous wrote:Im going to use peat/perlite/broke up polystyrene(instead of silica). at a 40/30/30 medium and a layer of live sphagnum on top

If you live in a very humid environment, that mix ratio sounds OK. If you live in a less humid environment, you might consider changing the mix ratio to 50/25/25 (sphagnum-peat-moss/perlite/polystyrene-bits). The live sphagnum moss will be problematic if you use it with Venus Flytraps, because the Flytraps will like more direct sunlight and heat than living sphagnum may prefer. So the live sphagnum may be uncomfortable and the tips may brown and dry out, and if you keep the live sphagnum moss wet enough for its own comfort, you would probably be overwatering the Venus Flytrap and might encourage rot.

Live sphagnum moss works well in some conditions (cooler temperatures or with plants that like diminished light in hot temperatures) and not so well in others. This is just one grower's opinions. I'm sure you'll get other opinions to consider as well. :) Happy growing!--


Yeh the humidity were i live is between 83-98% so i think its should be wise :)
If you plant honesty, You will reap trust
If you plant goodness, You will reap friends
If you plant hard work, You will reap success
If you plant patience, You will reap improvements
If you plant faith, You will reap miracles

User Avatar
victor

 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:42 am
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Thanked: 319 times in 312 posts

Re: Question about peat moss and perlite?

by victor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Woah! I don't I could survive with a humidity level that high.
Where I live the humidity usually gets to high of 75% rarely higher.
If I have helped you in any way please use the thank button. :D

To those of who don't know what Massachusetts is it's a state in the U.S.

Also, you can view my growlist here. :)
My Growlist


Return to Venus Fly Trap General Discussions

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests