FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By chriscanivorous
im looking for cp that i can grow in my terrarium with my vft until summer comes and i get a green house. the lighting i got isn't too strong until i buy new 1's. Apart from drosera (i already have seeds on the way) does anyone have any recommendations of any other small cp or cp seedlings that will do well with my vft?
By Daniel_G
Sarracenia Purpurea Will do well with a flytrap, And intermediate nepenthes have relatively the same conditions, and that's all i can think of :)
Daniel_G liked this
By jht-union
Sarracenias are patners with VFT's, in the wild, sarracenias, and VFT's live in the same environment. also a pinguicula, i don't remember the name well, a temperate pinguicula would also work well next to a vft, i don't know about nepenthes, a utricularia might work as well. :)
jht-union liked this
By Grey
Yes, I was going to also suggest Temperate Pinguicula however due to their native habitat and the conditions they would experience I don't know if they would do well in a terrarium. All Pinguicula are also extremely susceptible to root rot and the humidity (and possibly excess moisture) could be devastating to any Ping placed in a terrarium.

Speaking from experience, I've lost more leaf growth in Pinguicula when they have been in a humid environment than when they have been left to their devices on my windowsill. Some people will have had success with raising Temperate Pinguicula in a terrarium but personally I don't recommend it. I do maintain that Temperate Pinguicula are a fantastic partner for venus fly traps though as they share a very similar dormancy (conditions wise) at the same time of year.

If you do decide to choose a Temperate Pinguicula, keep a very close eye on moisture levels. I've found P. Grandiflora a very easy variety to grow.

Many Nepenthes are very well suited to terrarium life and they do not require a dormancy period. I've found N. Alata, N. Ventrata and N. Sanguinea to be very easy to grow varieties -- as long as you keep them in tall pots so their traps can hang over the edge.

I don't currently grow any Sarracenia but I continuously hear of their robust nature and how they grow wonderfully next to venus fly traps, so as the Daniels and jht have said, I think they would be your best bet. Some varieties also require a similar dormancy at the same time of year.
Grey liked this
By chriscanivorous
thanks for the advice people im taking notes. :)
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!