FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Well, at least it's in the air of the greenhouses. It snowed most of the morning here, but in the greenhouses, there are lots of signs that spring is just around the corner. John (snapperhead51) said that he'd let us have spring back and it looks like he's coming through on that promise :)

Here are a few shots of some of my plants emerging from dormancy:
Sarracenia flava flowerstalk
Sarracenia flava flowerstalk
flava_flowerstalk.jpg (130.76 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' flower bud
S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' flower bud
S_leuco_tarnok_flowerbud.jpg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
One of my H. minor x H. heterodoxa divisions is sending up three flower stalks. Here are a couple of them:
Heliamphora flower stalk
Heliamphora flower stalk
Heli_flowerstalk.jpg (136.41 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Heli_flowerstalk2.jpg
Heli_flowerstalk2.jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
A flytrap that's ready to GROW!
A flytrap that's ready to GROW!
ready_to_GROW_vft.jpg (185.72 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
And I'm not sure why, but this pot of typicals (all the same clone) have decided to flower early this year. They're on the same bench in the greenhouse as the rest of my mother pots, receiving the same conditions, but they're all flowering already. This is the only pot that I can see flower stalks in (other than a few stragglers around the greenhouse):
And a pot of typicals that are already flowering.
And a pot of typicals that are already flowering.
flowering_pot_of_typicals.jpg (161.03 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Matt, Matt liked this
By Gothic TRAPS
Stunning Matt :P ! It's wonderful to see life blooming in the northern hemisphere.

Up here in the Vancouver, BC area (approx. 11-12 hour drive north from you) it's been very mild of late with a few near freezing temperatures at night. Our mountains here are loaded with snow. Too bad the 2010 Winter Olympics are not taking place this year due to the lack of snow last year ;) . But over all the mid day temps are starting to get up there. My daffodils have tried to bloom 3 times already since early January if you can believe it. Definitely Spring is in the air :P !
By jht-union
Wow matt, you have lots of plants, and really healthy plants! :)

Us in the south are already getting lots of sunlight, yesterday was 76F, today 70F, but still nights of 40F, and we are going back to the nights of 30F in 3 more days(with day temps of 50-60 days), actually today is going to drop to 34F, i was wondering if this keeps my VFT's outside from growing faster and if this night drops causes them to not flower, or grow slower? , they are currently getting temps of 80-90F in the greenhouse during the day, but nights of 35-40F during the night, and they're getting 11 hours(edit: they're getting 9 hours of pure direct sunlight which is a lot, one of them has colored up so much that it looks like Steve's new seedling the one with really maroon traps! :)
Just wanted to add, is starting to get darker at 7pm, and well you know summer it gets darker at 9pm or sometimes even 10pm.

Thanks in advanced!
Last edited by jht-union on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jht-union liked this
By JimsPlants
How have you done this Matt? Do you secretly live in tropical climate or your heating the greenhouse :)

Its been really warm here for the last few weeks and the flower stalks are nowhere near yours.
JimsPlants liked this
By linton
Not good...this means that dormancy is coming to Australian growers. But your plants are looking great Matt!
linton liked this
By dantt99
Wow, all of them are amazing! I can't wait to get a B52 from you! :D
dantt99 liked this
By victor
Great plants Matt! I'm going to let mine wake up in a week.
victor liked this
By Matt
Dionae wrote:i've never even seen a heli seed.
I haven't yet either, but I hope to this spring.
Gothic TRAPS wrote:Up here in the Vancouver, BC area (approx. 11-12 hour drive north from you) it's been very mild of late with a few near freezing temperatures at night.
That's basically the same weather we've been getting here in southern Oregon. The last couple of weeks were sunny and mild. These last few days winter has come back though.
jht-union wrote:i was wondering if this keeps my VFT's outside from growing faster and if this night drops causes them to not flower, or grow slower?
The cool night-time temperatures surely play a role in prevent flytraps from flowering and resuming growth. The days aren't quite long enough yet either I don't think.
JimsPlants wrote:How have you done this Matt? Do you secretly live in tropical climate or your heating the greenhouse :)
Hah, I don't know. Some of the plants are a month ahead of where they were this time last year. It has been pretty mild lately and I only started noticing most of this growth in the last week or two.
linton wrote:Not good...this means that dormancy is coming to Australian growers.
Yes, it's about time for you all to give up the warm and sunny weather and pass it back up to us :)
dantt99 wrote:Wow, all of them are amazing! I can't wait to get a B52 from you! :D
Steve and I both have quite a few very nice B52s ready for sale this year. It sounds like some people are growing impatient and ordering from other places (PredatoryPlants.com has them in stock right now), but we're going to wait until the growing season gets here and the plants break dormancy before putting them back in stock.
Matt, Matt, Matt liked this
By jht-union
Matt wrote:The cool night-time temperatures surely play a role in prevent flytraps from flowering and resuming growth. The days aren't quite long enough yet either I don't think.
They have been throwing new growth, but i was guessing they're growing slow because of the cold temps, i decided to move them in today, the temps stay at 70F in my room/office, day temps of 90-85F, and night temps of 70F, sounds good to me to make them grow faster!, yes, days are still short :( .
By HarrisAz
why is Matt and Steve's plants always look good?no matter in what time of the year(dormant,growing season etc etc)... ;)

well...theres not muhc changes of climate here though.only that the rain season is ending and the dry season is approaching.
By Grey
Amazing! Thank you for the photographs, Matt. Spring is heading to the UK too (although there's talk of snow) as my plants are starting to look more robust and are dividing like no tomorrow! It's a huge relief that my first dormancy is finally ending.
By Daniel_G
Oh, tis' the time of spring once again, soon we'll all have great looking plant's once again
Great looking plant's Matt, the Sarracenia' look great, spring is a wonderful time isn't it ☺
By jht-union
HarrisAz wrote:why is Matt and Steve's plants always look good?no matter in what time of the year(dormant,growing season etc etc)...
There's only one answer to that, they're matt's/steve's plants, what else can we expect :lol: ;)
By JuanCruz
Great pics, Matt! Yes, I suppose Spring is getting close over there.

¡Muy buenas fotos, Matt! Sí, supongo que la primavera se está acercando por allá.
JuanCruz liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!