FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Newbee
So i read on venus flytrap care for potting mixes that 1 part peat to 1 part perlite is readily excepted by venus flytraps for potting mixtures.Should i go with that ratio of a mixture or should i go with something else?Thanks. :)
By Matt
I prefer a mix with silica sand in it. The sand breaks up the soil better and allows for a healthier root system. But many people have trouble finding silica sand, so a 50:50 mix of peat and perlite will work just fine.
By victor
Yeah thats the basic mix I use with my plants and they do very well.
By chriscanivorous
Im going to use peat/perlite/broke up polystyrene(instead of silica). at a 40/30/30 medium and a layer of live sphagnum on top will this be ok?? and for germinating seeds?
By Grey
Sounds good! I don't know if you need the live sphagnum on top for venus fly traps but whatever you prefer.

For seeds I finely sift my soil mixture (peat/sand) using a seive and just use that. I don't add anything else to it unless I'm worried about losing moisture rapidly (which never happens).
Grey liked this
By chriscanivorous
Grey wrote:Sounds good! I don't know if you need the live sphagnum on top for venus fly traps but whatever you prefer.

For seeds I finely sift my soil mixture (peat/sand) using a seive and just use that. I don't add anything else to it unless I'm worried about losing moisture rapidly (which never happens).
well i already payed for the live fresh sphanum so i may aswell use it now :)
By Steve_D
chriscanivorous wrote:Im going to use peat/perlite/broke up polystyrene(instead of silica). at a 40/30/30 medium and a layer of live sphagnum on top
If you live in a very humid environment, that mix ratio sounds OK. If you live in a less humid environment, you might consider changing the mix ratio to 50/25/25 (sphagnum-peat-moss/perlite/polystyrene-bits). The live sphagnum moss will be problematic if you use it with Venus Flytraps, because the Flytraps will like more direct sunlight and heat than living sphagnum may prefer. So the live sphagnum may be uncomfortable and the tips may brown and dry out, and if you keep the live sphagnum moss wet enough for its own comfort, you would probably be overwatering the Venus Flytrap and might encourage rot.

Live sphagnum moss works well in some conditions (cooler temperatures or with plants that like diminished light in hot temperatures) and not so well in others. This is just one grower's opinions. I'm sure you'll get other opinions to consider as well. :) Happy growing!--
Steve_D liked this
By chriscanivorous
Steve_D wrote:
chriscanivorous wrote:Im going to use peat/perlite/broke up polystyrene(instead of silica). at a 40/30/30 medium and a layer of live sphagnum on top
If you live in a very humid environment, that mix ratio sounds OK. If you live in a less humid environment, you might consider changing the mix ratio to 50/25/25 (sphagnum-peat-moss/perlite/polystyrene-bits). The live sphagnum moss will be problematic if you use it with Venus Flytraps, because the Flytraps will like more direct sunlight and heat than living sphagnum may prefer. So the live sphagnum may be uncomfortable and the tips may brown and dry out, and if you keep the live sphagnum moss wet enough for its own comfort, you would probably be overwatering the Venus Flytrap and might encourage rot.

Live sphagnum moss works well in some conditions (cooler temperatures or with plants that like diminished light in hot temperatures) and not so well in others. This is just one grower's opinions. I'm sure you'll get other opinions to consider as well. :) Happy growing!--
Yeh the humidity were i live is between 83-98% so i think its should be wise :)
By victor
Woah! I don't I could survive with a humidity level that high.
Where I live the humidity usually gets to high of 75% rarely higher.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!