Moderator: Matt

Help Name this Flytrap Store VFT?

FTS Scarlet Vixen
37%
FTS Temptress
15%
FTS Crimson Crusher
41%
NONE OF THOSE! I'll make my suggestion below!
7%
By Steve_D
Some of you may have seen a photo and discussion of this seedling at the Forum here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/flytr ... t9530.html

We had tentatively named this seedling FTS Pink Predator (but some people didn't like that name; help us name it!). :D The "FTS" prefix simply designates the origin as the Flytrap Store, as BCP designates the European business Best Carnivorous Plants.

Now we just need to put the seedling into our development cycle, which consists of growing the plant well in order to get a division or leaf pulling to send to Matt so that he can get tissue to try to establish the plant in sterile tissue culture; growing and dividing the plant into multiple sterile containers to produce many tiny plantlets; taking most of those plantlets out of tissue culture (while reserving some in tissue culture for continued micropropagation and future use), hardening (acclimating) them and growing them "ex vitro" (in natural conditions) until they are well-established young plants, then offering them for sale at FlytrapStore.com when we have a sufficiently large enough stock for the initial offering. This development cycle can take 2 or more years, but that's just the way it is; plants don't grow instantaneously. :D
FTS-Pink-Predator.jpg
FTS-Pink-Predator.jpg (67.83 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
By Steve_D
Daniel_G wrote:Ooooh. I want one!!!! It's beautiful!
We're working hard on getting international shipments set up of plants in sterile containers, so that people in countries outside the United States can more easily obtain plants such as our own Flytrap Store clones and other clones that might be difficult or impossible to find in one's own country. :D

When we're ready, plants in sterile tubes (small containers) and flasks (large containers) will be available for sale and shipment in the international area of FlytrapStore.com, here:

http://www.FlytrapCare.com/store/international/

:mrgreen:
By Grey
Congratulations on the new name! I'd have called it a Bleeding Garnet or something, as it looks like its covered in blood and is shiny like a garnet jewel :lol:. But I can't wait to see it in the store -- and am even more excited to hear you are progressing with the international shipping!

Thank you for the lovely photograph and awesome news!
By frog
Yes the plant looks really sweet. Low to the ground i'll buy it the first chance i get. what i really want is the plants in sterile tubes now that sounds fun. what a big year for the FTS. i'm glad to see so much in store for all us fans
By jht-union
The FTS pink predator is really big and bloody!, i would buy right now if i can :) , a good name for it would be:
FTS " bloodia magnus"
FTS " pink magnus"
FTS " magnus rutilos"
FTS " magnus russus"

I wouldn't name it pink since there's already a pink venus, and the red, is already in use in typical red VFT, i like this one better FTS "maroon gargantuan" , because is maroon and is big!, it would be nice if you guys use FTS"maroon predator" or something with the word maroon instead of FTS pink predator, many people will think this is a pink venus but with more larger traps, they might not find the difference, and they will buy the pink venus instead of the FTS pink predator, i guess this one will be put at a higher price right?, as soon as the people see the word pink in it, they will go for the pink venus instead of the FTS pink predator because is cheaper. This is just a theory, i'm thinking like if i have never heard of matt/ steve, and am a new customer looking to buy a vft and the website http://flytrapstore.com just pops out when i was searching in google for a VFT ;) . Just trying to help you guys on what i think would benefit both of you ;)
(but who knows, this name could actually bring more attention, but it might not)
By the way i don't speak latin, but the words are pretty interesting for naming VFT's! :)

Good luck, and hope this helps! :)
By Steve_D
Thank you jht-union for your remarks and suggestions. We'll think about the name more, and maybe change it. I'm not fond of latin sounding names (bloodia magnus, pink magnus, magnus rutilos, magnus russus) I think because it is too reminiscent of genus/species names. But you have a good point about the word pink, and maroon might be better. I do like the word predator though. :D
By Steve_D
yinepu wrote:How about FTS "Ruby Predator"?
Hey! That's a good suggestion. We'll definitely consider it. I think I'm liking it already. :D Also, even though I like the word predator, for this particular clone the name could be changed to Ruby something-other-than-predator, if someone thinks of a good second name, or alternative first and second name. All ideas are welcome, although I'm personally not fond of the latin-sounding names for some reason (even though russus sounds kind of neat). :ugeek:
By jht-union
Steve_D wrote:Thanks, jht-union for more good names to consider. Ruby Raptor? Carnelian Cupcake? :)
I know you don't like the latin words, but actually FTS " ruby russus" sounds like a good name! :) , more names on the list: FTS" ruby regia", FTS" rubies regia", FTS" ruby cardinal", FTS" ruby gator", FTS " ruby parrot", FTS" ruby flamingo", FTS" Ruby lily", FTS" scarlet ruby" ( or backwards), FTS"Ruby newt", FTS" Ruby scarlet ibis", FTS" ruby ibis".

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!